+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commercial/Public Pool expectations

drumr is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst drumr 0

Default Commercial/Public Pool expectations

Hi all,
    Just got back from vacation in Gatlinburg, Tn. I have to say we had a great hotel, great view, spacious room, but a not so clean pool and lazy river.

The pool and lazy river were both pretty cloudy, I couldn't smell any chlorine in the lazy river (the water actually stunk) and very little chlorine in the pool.

The lazy river was heated (probably in the mid 90's) and the pool was a little cooler. I couldn't see the type of filtration they were using, but only 1 or 2 of the pool returns actually working the other ones had either air or nothing coming out of them.

My question is: What should we expect out of a commercial pool? In my experience, the ones I have been in had a strong chlorine odor and were pretty clear. This one was neither. It just didn't seem like it was sanitized.

Thanks,
    JD

drumr is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst drumr 0

Default Re: Commercial/Public Pool expectations

ugaguard,
    I absolutely agree with you, as my pool is odorless, but the water in the lazy river had a pungent odor, like it had no sanitizer in it at all. The pool was better and it did have a small chlorine odor in it. It also felt cleaner than the lazy river.

Every public pool I have been in has had a rather strong chlorine smell to it, I don't know if it is from the combined chlorine or if they run them with a lot more chlorine in it than a residential pool would have.

Default Re: Commercial/Public Pool expectations

My 1st rule: Stay out of public pools and hot tubs. They are a breeding ground for bacteria from swimmer perspiration, mucous, fecal matter, urine, saliva etc
    My 2nd rule: If the public pool smells like an old hockey bag then quickly leave the building

Seriously though that's absolutely disgusting and I would have complained to the management. Truly unacceptable.

A clean pool will have no "chlorine" smell.

+ Reply to Thread