+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone tell about HTH Algaecide

Default Can anyone tell about HTH Algaecide

I remember reading back before the forum crashed that someone was using the HTH Super Algaecide that is 60% strength. I could be total wrong but i just bought some at Walmart and before I added some to my pool, i figured I'd check with you all.

Active ingredient
    Alkyl(60%C14, 30%C16, 5%C12, 5%C18)
    dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride...........30%
    Alkyl(60%C12, 32%C14) dimethyl
    ethybenzyl ammonium chloride.................30%
    Inert Ingredients...................................40%
    Total 100%

Any idea what this all means. I don't remember me covering this in high school chemistry. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Can anyone tell about HTH Algaecide

I know the general feeling on the forum regarding algeacides is 60% polyquat..... for active ingredients. I am not familar with that product or those ingredients.
    Outside of Philadelphia, PA
    18' x 40' IG - 22K gallons
    Sylvan Gunite Pool (1979)
    Plaster re-done (1997)
    48 Sq Ft Hayward D.E. Filter (2003)
    1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump (2006)

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by poolboyforjenny
    I remember reading back before the forum crashed that someone was using the HTH Super Algaecide that is 60% strength. I could be total wrong but i just bought some at Walmart and before I added some to my pool, i figured I'd check with you all.

Active ingredient
    Alkyl(60%C14, 30%C16, 5%C12, 5%C18)
    dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride...........30%
    Alkyl(60%C12, 32%C14) dimethyl
    ethybenzyl ammonium chloride.................30%
    Inert Ingredients...................................40%
    Total 100%

Any idea what this all means. I don't remember me covering this in high school chemistry. Any help would be appreciated.
    These are linear quats NOT polyqaut!...As as I know the ONY polyquat HTH has is the Aglaecide 30 which is 30%...Not sure but they might be discontinuing that one also and replacing it with linear quats!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

I believe i will just take this back to Walmart. Think I'll just stick to the advice on this forum. Thanks.

I had mustard algae and looked for the "polyquat" that was recommended by this forum. Could not find in local stores, but found the exact same algeacide you mentioned here. Decided to use, did two treatments in 4 days and it cleared out the mustard algae with no side affects.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

You are lucky, this is one of the algecides that we stock, although I do not recommend it. I have had a few customers buy it and come back and tell me their pools turned into a mountain of foam!

I have used a similar algecide and had foaming problems in the past. What is the best way to deal with the foam? I was also wondering about the whole idea of using any algecide. This may sound wierd but I was thinking that algae is one of the few visible signs of water problems and if the algecide works and prevents algae from growing it might mask other water poblems you might have?

Quote Originally Posted by bc9nd3h
    I have used a similar algecide and had foaming problems in the past. What is the best way to deal with the foam?
    Wait for it to subside. shocking sometimes helps.
    I was also wondering about the whole idea of using any algecide. This may sound wierd but I was thinking that algae is one of the few visible signs of water problems and if the algecide works and prevents algae from growing it might mask other water poblems you might have?
    This is very true. If your water chemistry is correct you will not have algae! Usually algae happens when the free chlorine is too low for the stabilzer level and the pH is out of range. It is a symptom of an improperly maintained pool! Keep your water chemisty on target and you won't have algae!

Thanks, my foaming is just about stopped now, I had a problem after the guys I hired to open my pool accidently overdosed with algecide (about 3x too much). I shocked the pool for several days and it was still foaming. It seemed to stop on it's own. Do you think these chemicals are being broken by the sun? My neighbor had the same problem from the same guys but worse (about 4.5X as much because of a smaller pool. Hers is still foaming. I guess there's no magic bullet for this. Just time and CL.

finch Guest

Can someone explain what causes the foaming. I have heard that one has to be careful of chlorine levels with linear quats. Can someone give advice about the optimal ph, chlorine levels for a product like this?

+ Reply to Thread