+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Salt concentration question

Default Salt concentration question

Fellow SWCG owners;

I'm in an interesting predicament and am hoping to get some opinions/suggestions.

I'll preface this by saying that with all the rain we've gotten here in Maryland the past week that my pool is extremely overfilled right now but did not overflow.

I'm assuming that salt concentrations should be read or adjusted at normal pool water levels? The reason I ask is that from the above paragraph you can probably discern that right now my aqualogic is complaining of low salt so I added another bag of salt to get it working this morning. What I would like to do is adjust my salt levels so that when the pool is at its current water level the low salt light does not come on and when the level it at its lowest it is not complaining of the salt being too high. I don't know if that is even possible with my pool (pool is very large and it takes a lot of water to move the level a little) and I am sure each pool is different, but I am wondering if that is the common practice or if you adjust your salt to the normal water operating level of the pool and sanitize with bleach or something if the water levels get out of whack?

Thanks.

Regards,

Mark

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

Default Re: Salt concentration question

Mark,

I can empathise with you regarding the overfilling from the rain. We are having steady afternoon thunderstorms and have to decide whether to drain down and lose salt, or let it overflow.

Draining unfortunately has to be the first option, as the other half would take a VERY dim view of salty water into the garden.

With the large pool that you have changes in salt concentration that will be slow to occur, so I suspect you are in a catch 22 situation.

FWIW I just make sure I have at least 3000 ppm salt, regardless of rain, and having to discharge and so forth. With the Aqualogic if you can set the high salt alarm higher, this might be a way around the problem. If not you may have to talk to Aqualogic and see what they suggest.

Hope this helps.

Pat
    20,000 Gallon IG Diamond Brite pool, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, Hayward Microclear DE3600 filter, Favco solar panels, Poolpilot DIG-220 with SC-48 cell.

+ SWCG OPERATION thread here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1226
    + SWCG Running Costs post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=316
    + Effective Stabilizer addition post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=6645

Thanks, Pat. Anyone else care to share their secret?

Regards,

Mark

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

I keep my salt level around 3400 ppm with my aqualogic normally. this way when we get heavy rain (and Florida gets a LOT of rain in the summer) my salt levels won't go that low. It is actually better to operate with slightly higher levels than lower because the cell doesn't have to work as hard and this can help prolong it's life.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread