+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ok people - I'm on my own - HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Ok people - I'm on my own - HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok - finished pool school today, was feeling pretty confident in taking over because the water was fairly stable the last few days. Then - today - the pool guy adds like 1 1/2 -2 jugs of acid trying to clean some stains of the plaster so he can hand over the pool. I say - "uh - excuse me pool guy, won't all that acid screw up my water? Couldn't you do part of it today and the rest another day?" He said nope, his instructions were to fix the punch list items and turn over the pool. He left at noon in a raging thunderstorm, BTW it's been raining cats and dogs for 4 days, had to drain the pool a bit twice already, presently draining a little again.

So....I've been working my self up into a tizzy, I know I need to do something, don't have the taylor/Ben's kit, suddenly I don't trust my testing with the rinky dink walmart kit, so I panicked and went to the pool store for a water analysis at 5. I'm hosting the 4th in my beautiful new pool, wwwaaaahhhh! Here are the numbers...

Total Alkalinity 20
    ph 6.2
    cyanuric acid 0
    total hardness 160
    FC 0.6
    TC 0.6 These are the results from the stores analysis

Ok guys - I had a gift certificate my sister gave me from the store so from them I bought stabilizer(bag), bicarb (bag), and two jugs of chlorine I know, I know - I broke down, but they all ganged up on me when I told them I was going to do BBB - they shamed me into it. It was a 20 minute lecture my head was spinning. I do have two jugs of bleach (6%) and a box of mule team borax from yesterday when I was all brave about taking over. I'm embarrassed but I might as well be honest. So there it is in all it's ugliness!

Hope I don't get kicked off the forum... I AM SERIOUSLY COMPLETELY PARALYZED WITH FEAR RIGHT NOW AND AM BLANK ON WHAT I SHOULD DO -IT'S 9:30 P.M.

Help please - I will monitor this site for the next couple of hours if anyone is out there! I'll stay up as late as I need to - just please be as specific as possible, the dummed down the better
    Gracy
    16,725 gal gunite pool/1000 gal spa;exp agg finish; Jacuzzi 2 hp pump/Hayward cartridge filter/electric heater; Taylor K2006 Test Kit

Default Re: Ok people - I'm on my own - HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a total newbie here myself, but DON'T PANIC! You can do this.

Test the water yourself before you do anything. Those guys at the pool store are like first cousins to slimy used car salesmen (apologies to any honest used car salesmen on the board).

Do you have the bleachcalc downloaded to your computer? It's a great tool..look for it in the signature line of mwsmith's posts (think I have that right).

You're going to want to bring up the pH and alk..the bleachcalc has a place under "more tests" where you can figure out how much you need to add based on the gallons in your pool. You also need to increase your free chlorine a bit, but I think I've read here that if you get your pH into the right range your chlorine will be more effective.

Most importantly...wait for someone who actually knows what s/he's doing for real advice. My real advice ended at DON'T PANIC.

Ok MOM - I'm teetering on the verge of panicking - going to get my kids down and I'll be back in 30 minutes...
    Gracy
    16,725 gal gunite pool/1000 gal spa;exp agg finish; Jacuzzi 2 hp pump/Hayward cartridge filter/electric heater; Taylor K2006 Test Kit

tundraSQ is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst tundraSQ 0

Get the borax in there as soon as you verify the 6.2 PH add the entire box....I have never seen a number that low..it must have been really low BEFORE the guy added the acid. but you MUST raise that PH...

also pour the clorox in....your FC is very low....one gallon tonight....and one tomorrow night.
    and you need to get some stabilizer in too...

hope you weren't paying this pool guy.....

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I'll try to help. Look for the bolded parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracy101
    Ok - finished pool school today, was feeling pretty confident in taking over because the water was fairly stable the last few days. Then - today - the pool guy adds like 1 1/2 -2 jugs of acid trying to clean some stains of the plaster so he can hand over the pool. I say - "uh - excuse me pool guy, won't all that acid screw up my water? Couldn't you do part of it today and the rest another day?" He said nope, his instructions were to fix the punch list items and turn over the pool. He left at noon in a raging thunderstorm, BTW it's been raining cats and dogs for 4 days, had to drain the pool a bit twice already, presently draining a little again.

This seems to be a normal part of new plastering--lots of acid washing up front. I'm no whiz on plaster but that seems to be SOP.

So....I've been working my self up into a tizzy, I know I need to do something, don't have the taylor/Ben's kit, suddenly I don't trust my testing with the rinky dink walmart kit, so I panicked and went to the pool store for a water analysis at 5. I'm hosting the 4th in my beautiful new pool, wwwaaaahhhh! Here are the numbers...

You MUST get yourself a decent test kit ASAP. If you can find one at WalMart called the HTH 5 way test kit. You need a drop-test kit, not strips. Leslies and other pool stores may have them that test the items in your list.

Total Alkalinity 20
    ph 6.2
    cyanuric acid 0
    total hardness 160
    FC 0.6
    TC 0.6 These are the results from the stores analysis

T/A=20 That's low. Aim for 80-125. But take your time. Add one lb of baking soda (that's all the stuff that they gave you is), wait a few hours and TEST your water. It's easier to undershoot your target and add more than to overshoot it and treat it. Or use Soda Ash to raise T/A AND pH together.

pH=6.2. That's VERY low. Luckily, you have a plaster pool and I THINK that's part of the normal conditioning process. The pool plaster will raise the pH itself, but you should get it to 6.9, minimum. Use Borax--you'll need a few boxes, but add one at a time. 6.9-7.8 is OK for pH but with your pool you want it lower--it will go up on its own. You CAN use Soda Ash to treat both T/A and pH at the same time--but go to the grocery store and buy Arm&Hammer WASHING Soda (NOT baking soda) as it is soda ash and FAR cheaper than the EXACT same stuff at the pool store.

Cyanuric Acid--that's CYA or stabilizer. You aim for 30-50ppm. Whatever the package says to use to reach 30ppm to 50ppm, use 1/3 to 1/2 the amount for your volume of water. Hang it in an old lady's stocking away from the wall, like off the ladder and expect it to take 48 hours to a week to dissolve. Then test for CYA and add more if it's low.

Tot. Hardness/Calcium is a little low. 200 to 400ppm is your target--no higher. Calcium in the water keeps calcium in the plaster from dissolving and leaching out. Calcium Carbonate or use Cal-Hypo powder to chlorinate.

FC, TC =.6 this means CC is 0--that's good. With no CYA, .6 FC means you are (barely) sanitary. You'll need MUCH higher levels as your CYA goes up. You can use liquid chlorine--it's the same as bleach, just maybe a higher concentration. For every 10,000 gallons of water you have, I would add one gallon of regular bleach, or one 3 quart jug of Ultra bleach. If you don't have algae, you have leeway.

Ok guys - I had a gift certificate my sister gave me from the store so from them I bought stabilizer(bag), bicarb (bag), and two jugs of chlorine I know, I know - I broke down, but they all ganged up on me when I told them I was going to do BBB - they shamed me into it. It was a 20 minute lecture my head was spinning.

You don't have to STAND for that crap! YOU ARE THE CUSTOMER!!!! If the jugs are liquid chlorine, you are fine, if not, TAKE THEM BACK! If they won't take them back, tell them they conned you, you will tell everyone you know, and they will NEVER get another purchase out of you--and do it! Most stuff you need is available on-line anyway. If you follow our advice, you don't EVER need to feel ashamed. If that bicarb cost more per pound than Arm&Hammer baking soda, make them take THAT back too!

But we do have tricks. I tell them I use Liquid Chlorine. It's absolutely true. It comes in a jug that says "Laundry Bleach" but it's the same stuff.

I do have two jugs of bleach (6%) and a box of mule team borax from yesterday when I was all brave about taking over. I'm embarrassed but I might as well be honest. So there it is in all it's ugliness!

Don't be embarrassed. Please. You have been "Pool Stored" and it's happened to more experienced people than you.

Hope I don't get kicked off the forum... I AM SERIOUSLY COMPLETELY PARALYZED WITH FEAR RIGHT NOW AND AM BLANK ON WHAT I SHOULD DO -IT'S 9:30 P.M.

Help please - I will monitor this site for the next couple of hours if anyone is out there! I'll stay up as late as I need to - just please be as specific as possible, the dummed down the better
    We don't throw people off the board for asking for help, especially after they've been brow-beaten and conned as they've been "Pool-Stored".

I've given you advice, and, I hope, reassurance. It's alot easier than it looks. Go to the tops of the Chlorine... and Testing....forums and read the stickies for beginners.
    Carl

Gracy, first thing is to relax, you pool is finally done! All the answers are in the post above, but this isn't ER, you pool will be fine till morning. Get a jug of bleach in there, work on bringing your PH up. CarlD knows a heck of a lot more about this than I do, but I know that there's no reason to panic. Main thing is that you enjoy it!!!

Gracy101,

Don't panic! There are many knowledgeable people here that will help! (I'm not one of them, I am a newbie myself).

Also don't feel bad about being 'pool stored'. Many people have been. I am one of them, now a have a bunch of 'junk' that I will never use.

You are in good hands here. No need for panic.

Geez you'd think I was handling explosives out there!

What amazes me most is I've spent over a week poring/analyzing/copying stickys off this forum and taking notes like crazy and in the span of 6 hours I went mental when faced with actually doing it the first time.

Anyway - I added bleach, borax, baking soda and stabilizer - kept running back and forth searching the forum for HOW TOs on adding the different things...you gotta love you guys, all the answers are right there.

I'm feeling a bit better now that there is something in the water...Will wake up bright and early to test and see what happened. For now it's after one and I'm emotionally drained!

Mom, Tundra, bparks and DrSpike - a HUUUUUGE thank you to all of you for the support.

Carl - a special thank you for talking me down.

Good night.
    Gracy

Grace;

Before dumping anything into that pool make sure you are following the builders instructions!

If you are not the owner/builder get a print out of the start up instructions from your builder and follow them to the letter! If you don't follow your builder's directions and that plaster delaminates you could have voided your warranty!

If you are an owner/builder and you hired a pool guy for start up get his instructions for what you should do next during transition to normal chemistry levels.

Essentially if you began an acid start and you raise the pH to soon you could create problems for yourself. Don't panic 6.2 isn't a panic level I was lower than that initially. Just do not run pumps or equipment while the pH is that low just brush your plaster 2 to 3 times a day. As the plaster dust comes off the plaster within a few days your pH will rise on it's own.

Anyway here's' the best start-up instructions I could find.

http://www.npconline.net/start%20up.pdf

I've been following them and my pool is looking perfect!
    hth,
    Jo
    24,000 Gal IG Pool ColorQuartz Premium
    1,000 Gal Spa - 8 Jets
    System 3 D.E. Filter,
    Max-E-Therm Heater
    550 Sq Ft Heliocol Solar System
    Intellitouch i7 & Goldline Aquarite SWCG
    SAm & SAl lighting, 2-2HP pumps
    Filled 6/21/2006 Owner/Builder

JO - thanks for the heads up. However, my pool was started up by my builder on June 8 and they have been maintaining it until yesterday when they "turned it over to me." The pool guy had consistent trouble running a high ph but supposedly had it balanced by yesterday.

In taking care of some punch list items before "pool school," he utilized 2 jugs of muriatic acid to clean some stains from the plaster in various areas. Then he left and those were the numbers I was left to deal with.
    Gracy

+ Reply to Thread