+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pump problems... Hard to prime and air in the pump lines

Default Pump problems... Hard to prime and air in the pump lines

I have a prime problem with my pump getting primed after I clean the bucket basket... and after I get it primed... it never stops pushing air bubbles out all jets except for one in the deep end of my pool(4 in spa 4 in pool...) spa and pool run off same pump, pump specs are... 2 skimmers for the pool, Magnetek pump, purex triton triton2 sand filter, pentair multi select and chlorinator, gould Polaris booster pump, and Teledyne lairs heater for pool and spa, gallons and not known pool is 15,000gal. also I can fill it up now and by tomorrow morning it will have dropped 3 maybe 4 in over night... but it will not drop below the skimmers happens every time we put water in the pool. also I think I may know what happened with the bubbles... but want more advice... my dad had taken care of the pool for years and I know some things from being taught, but I recently came over and the pool water was dark green and the pool was half empty, I asked him what was going on, and he said that he was tired of a green pool, I told him that this was not the way to go... he persisted to keep draining after he drained it and a big argument between my mom and dad, my mom told me to take all care of the pool from now on... I said ok. Now how do I address these bubbles and find out where they come from... and how do I keep the pool crystal clear and blue all the time without that simpllybluepool krap? I would go to Leslies but they seem to not know what they are talking about, I think the guy was new, so any help would be REALLLLY useful and appreciated!

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

Default Re: Pump problems... Hard to prime and air in the pump lines

Welcome to the forum.

The air bubbles generally come from air leaking in to the suction side of the pump, usually between the skimmers and the pump.

Using 3 foot length of 1/2 or 3/4" pipe, hold one end to your ear and the other on the suction piping starting from the pump and going backwards towards the skimmers. You will be able to hear the air bubbles passing through the pipe until they suddenly stop. That is where the leak is.

If you still hear the air bubbles when the pipes go underground, then it becomes much more difficult to isolate.

The most likely place though could come from the skimmers themselves, and you should be able to see air bubbles being pulled into suction line or lines. I think that this is where it is, as you say you lose level 3 to 4 inches overnight.

Keeping the pool crystal clear is by following the "stickies" in the pool operations forums.

With a green pool, see if there is a lot of debris on the bottom, i.e. leaves, twigs, dead frogs etc. These have to be removed with the pool rake and basket. When that is done remove any debris in the skimmer and pool pump baskets.

Start the circulation, and add 4 gallons of 6% bleach, to get the chlorine level up to 15 ppm. You will probably have to backwash the filter a few times, as the pool may get cloudy. If it gets really cloudy, shut the circulation down for 24 hours to let the cloudiness settle, and then vacuum to waste.

Take a pool water sample and post the results if you have a test kit. If not take it to a pool dealer that does not use test strips.

You will want the following test values as guidelines;

CL 15 ppm
    pH 7.2 - 7.6
    TA 80 - 100 ppm
    CYA 40 - 50 ppm
    CH 200 - 400 ppm

Now that you have taken over the pool duties, a green pool will take patience and persistence, and eventually you will see a difference.

Hope this helps to get you started, and keep us posted.

Pat
    Last edited by PatL34; 06-29-2006 at 10:42 PM.
    20,000 Gallon IG Diamond Brite pool, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, Hayward Microclear DE3600 filter, Favco solar panels, Poolpilot DIG-220 with SC-48 cell.

+ SWCG OPERATION thread here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1226
    + SWCG Running Costs post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=316
    + Effective Stabilizer addition post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=6645

+ Reply to Thread