FC = 3
    CC = 1
    TC = 3
    pH = 7.2
    Alk = 200
    Cal = 240
    Cya = 60
    Temp = 79

What do you think? The high alkalinity popped up right after spring opening when the pool company's counter tested my water and had us add 50 lbs. of baking soda all at once. The alkalinity has been hanging out up there ever since.

The water has been looking great since we got rid of massive algae upon spring opening by ultimately using around 15 gallons of chlorine (I believe I had contributed to the algae problem by a stupid error I made last fall right before closing when I mistakenly dumped directly into the pool a gallon of filter cleaner--yes, I did that...

The pool is now very clear and clean (we have 2 sets of cartridge filters that we hose off or clean and swap out every few weeks).

This is the northeast and we've gotten a mix of sun and clouds with rain every day for the past few weeks, torrential at times. This season I haven't had to add any water yet from a hose (municipal supply) due to all the rain...

We love our pool and spend as much time as possible in and by the pool with family and friends during pool season (while all-too-short in the NE, we do enjoy every glorious poolside moment we can get!).

I have come to believe that last year we were advised by our pool co. to use too many chemicals (clarifiers, enzymes, various shock treatments) and in the process, got into a vicious cycle of dependency on the pool co. and wasting $ while actually working against the attainment of excellent quality pool water.

My goal from here on out is to more finely tune our pool chemistry and, in the process, reduce excess chemical usage while maintaining comfortable, clear pool water (plus, being in the NE, it's important to keep the pool heater healthy, too!).

I'm diligent and persistent--bordering on OCD at times and open to considering what you suggest.

Gratefully,
    dkarl

duraleigh Guest

Default Re: First time using test kit

You have a nice understanding of pool chemistry.
    My goal from here on out is to more finely tune our pool chemistry and, in the process, reduce excess chemical usage while maintaining comfortable, clear pool water
    I like that goal.

I would suggest reading Ben's post on how to lower alkalinity. That would be the first fine tuning I would tackle.

With CYA of 60, 5-10ppm is the recommended Cl range. That CC of 1 indicates a shock may be in order soon. If you're not smelling chlorine and since your pool looks so nice I wouldn't be in a rush. maintaining 5-10ppm may get rid of it without shocking.

Nice work on the algae. Enjoy the pool.

Thanks so much! Very helpful.
    Gratefully,
    dkarl

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Only one thing to add:

If your FC is 3 and your CC is 1 then your TC MUST be 4, not 3.

If you use the FAS-DPD powder test, then don't rely on the PS-200 TC test--that's a quickie test when you don't have time for FAS-DPD (like me, this morning! )

Always and forever: TC = FC + CC By definition. If you know 2 of the 3 , you calculate the third.

With a CC of 1 you need to shock your pool to clear that. DaveS gave you the #'s

By the way, GREAT name (even if you do spell it wrong! )
    Carl
    Carl

Thanks a bunch for helping me as I'm trying to get the hang of this! (and I wish I had a nickle for everyone who spells my name with a "C"---so I think you're right again!)
    dkarl

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

My best and oldest friend ALWAYS spells my name with a K...just because he knows it bugs the TAR out of me!!!
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread