Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Quotes on FG Pool

Default Getting Quotes on FG Pool

Hello everyone,
    I'm new to the board but have been reading as many threads as possible. We live in MD and we are looking at getting a FG pool and are currently receiving quotes.

We are planning now so we can have the pool installed next spring and want to gather as much info as possible.

We have two local companies coming by to give us quotes and will get a few more before making a decision.

Below is a package from one of the companies, which I really like as they provided customers with contact info going back to 1988 without asking and are in good standing with the BBB.

I wanted to use this format for getting additional quotes as it seems very detailed. The phone quote we got from this company was $43k for a Viking (pool) Cancun (model). They told us we would get a discount if we waited until this fall to have it installed. This company also is a dist for CPC pools, which I haven't seen a lot of info on so anyone has any experience with these I would love to hear about it.

Basically I wanted to get some input on what I should be talking to them about regarding upgrades such as bigger pump, filter, etc. Is there anything missing from this package?

Thanks,
    Bill

Default Re: Getting Quotes on FG Pool

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We have a salesperson from the company mentioned above coming tomorrow and I would like to have as much info as possible.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by 2Hipp
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We have a salesperson from the company mentioned above coming tomorrow and I would like to have as much info as possible.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Hi Bill,

I don't know much about pools other than what I've learned in building ours, but be sure to get the excavation charges FIXED before signing anything. We have rock in our area, and I had the good fortune/presence of mind to demand fixed excavation costs.....otherwise it would have cost a fortune. They not only charge by the cubic yard of rock, but some by the hour, and then they use a Bobcat!........lol... (instead of a backhoe with hoe ram attachment.) You could spend another $6000 without blinking.

The fiberglass pool blanks are not that expensive. Why so much ($43k) for the pool? I'd do some more shopping if I were you. $43k can buy a basic gunite pool (maybe even a spa) in most areas I've heard of.

STS,
    Thanks for the reply. The $43k is for everything listed in the package not just the shell. We figured the pool would run us about $40k total. Also here in the Washington, DC Metro area everything is super expensive.

We too have rock in our area and will be sure to speak with the salesperson to see about a fixed cost for excavation. The first two contractors coming to give us quotes are located near my house so I'm sure they understand the type of excavating issues we might have.

Thanks again,
    Bill

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Actually fiberglass main disadvantage has been that it is the mose expensive pool you can get. It's advantatges over gunite are numerous. With the rising cost of concrete you might find that fiberglass is less expensive or the same as gunite for a similar pool these days. It is in Florida but I don't know about other parts of the country. Much of the cost of a fiberglass pool is in shipping, the closer you are to a factory the less it should cost you. From my research it seems that San Juan and Hawaiian are two of the best and Viking is good but not of the same quality. It has to do with the way the pools are manufactured. Viking uses a different process than San Juan and Hawaiian.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

The contractor coming tomorrow to give us a quote deals with San Juan and we have another contractor coming in a couple of weeks that deals with Viking and CPC. We have contacted Blue Hawaiian to find a dist in our area but have yet to hear back from any. Viking has a factory in West Virginia so that would be the closest to us.

I'm willing to pay a little bit more or equal to a gunite pool as I like the ease of maintenance FG has over guninte. Also the time frame for the installation of a FG pool is really appealing.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by 2Hipp
    The contractor coming tomorrow to give us a quote deals with San Juan and we have another contractor coming in a couple of weeks that deals with Viking and CPC. We have contacted Blue Hawaiian to find a dist in our area but have yet to hear back from any. Viking has a factory in West Virginia so that would be the closest to us.

I'm willing to pay a little bit more or equal to a gunite pool as I like the ease of maintenance FG has over guninte. Also the time frame for the installation of a FG pool is really appealing.
    You might want to read my thead in the pool contruction and repair-lessons learned to see some of my experiences.
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=2178
    My pool was supposed to be finished last june. I still haven't passed final inspection. My contractor did good work and had excellent references but something happened (drugs?, gambling?) and my pool and about 10 others were really botched up. He is the only fiberglass installer in my area. He was a San Juan dealer but they have recently dropped him. He just picked up Viking pools but he cannot pull any more permits until he fixes the jobs he's messed up. Just check out whoever you get very thoughly! (and yes, my builder is state licensed!) I am still waiting for him to come out and fix the things I talked about in the above thread and I posted that about a month ago!
    Last edited by waterbear; 07-01-2006 at 11:50 PM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Waterbear,
    Thanks for the advice and I have read through your posts. Your situation is exactly why I came on this board before getting any quotes. I want to make sure I'm armed with as much info as possible.

The contractor that deals with Viking pools has done 2 pools in my neighborhood so I'll be going to speak with them in the next couple of weeks to see how their experience went.

Does anyone have any input on the standard package listed above? I want to make sure I'm getting properly sized piping, correct pump size, and should I get an additional skimmer?

Thanks,
    Bill

I imagine this is defined by the fact that it's a Viking Cancun, but you may wish to list the dimensions and/or capacity of the pool to assist potential reviewers so they don't have to go look it up.

We just got a quote for a Viking Bermuda (12x25) I believe. Base price was $21,000 with most of the same options you listed give or take a few, but certainly did not have a "waterfall" included which I think could cost a hefty sum. However, we included spa jets on 3 seating areas ($800). The salt water filter ($1400), extra decking, an upgraded pool color, all fencing around the pool and a few other things for a total of $31,000. We thought the price was reasonable although we think we want to go for a slightly larger pool which will cost about $4000 more.

From all that I've read and heard Viking is suppose to be the "best" fiberglass pool. The contractor we contacted said he will not install any other fiberglass pool but Viking due to the better quality which gives him less headaches with installation and complaints down the road. I believed him.

Closed Thread