+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much Borax should I add

adl6009 Guest

Question How much Borax should I add

I have a 36000 gal inground with a ph of about 6.8 and alkalinity of 100 ppm. Whats the guidline for the borax, you know 1 lb will add x to the ph number. Thanks.

adl6009 Guest

Smile Re: How much Borax should I add

Found some guidance here http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=3383
    Is there a rule of thumb for the borax? You know 1 lb adds x ph to 10000 gals of water, that kind of thing. Thanks again.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Cool Re: How much Borax should I add

Adl, I've been looking for the same sort of guideline for a while, to no avail. I believe the problem is that how much of a rise is dependent upon the alkalinity of the water, so no one can say '1 lb borax will raise 10000 gal "X" ' . I think mwsmith2's bleach calc will do the computation for you (you can find it at the bottom of any of his posts). If you're like me and can't even download a program, you can add 1lb, wait 4 hrs, with the pump running and retest and redose as needed.
    It would really help if when asking a chem question, you'd post type and size (gals) and what your test results are - that will allow us to give you better and more detailed advice. You've made a great choice comming here to learn how to care for your investment without having to rely on profit driven folks to do it. Have a great and hastle free season - if I can be of further service, don't hesitate to ask - Waste.
    Last edited by waste; 06-28-2006 at 02:51 PM.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: How much Borax should I add

Unfortunately mwsmith2's calculator does not tell you how much borax to add to raise the ph for the very reason that Waste mentioned above. It depends on too many variables such as the alk level of the water. As he requested, give us your volume and test results and we can make a suggestion of the amount to add.

Default Re: How much Borax should I add

with your pH at 6.8, I'd definitely add a box for that size pool....better to have pH alittle high than low.

+ Reply to Thread