+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dropping ALK questions

Question Dropping ALK questions

I have a high alk and thinking of dropping it using the sticky thread. My test are as follows.

FC 4
    TC 4
    PH 7.8
    T ALK 200 - 210
    Ca Hardness 230-240
    CYA 35

Pool volume 13000 to 14000
    24’ above ground
    22 “ 200lb sand filter with about ½ cup de added
    2 hp pump
    BBB method

Pool looks great but the Ph goes from 7.4 to 8.0 in a few days. I have a fountain like pictured below.

Questions
    • Will the fountain I have work?
    • Can I let the kids in the pool with a ph of 7?
    • How much muriatic acid should I have on hand for this procedure? (Lowes is 45 minutes away)
    • Will the Ca precipitate at this low of ph?
    • What are the long term effects of just leaving it alone and adding acid weekly?
    • I am going to salt my pool for that oohhh so good feeling talked about in the other post. Do I need to wait untill after I drop the ALK?
    I am shooting to do the procedure after the weather warms up. I know the fountain will drop the temp and the pool is way too cold (for me) right now.
    Thanks in advance
    Steve

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Dropping ALK questions

Quote Originally Posted by medvampire
    I have a high alk and thinking of dropping it using the sticky thread. My test are as follows.

FC 4
    TC 4
    PH 7.8
    T ALK 200 - 210
    Ca Hardness 230-240
    CYA 35

Pool volume 13000 to 14000
    24’ above ground
    22 “ 200lb sand filter with about ½ cup de added
    2 hp pump
    BBB method

Pool looks great but the Ph goes from 7.4 to 8.0 in a few days. I have a fountain like pictured below.

Questions
    • Will the fountain I have work?
    Sure, it should.
    • Can I let the kids in the pool with a ph of 7?
    Yes, but no lower. Their splashing (water fights are good! ) will aerate the water, raising the pH.
    • How much muriatic acid should I have on hand for this procedure? (Lowes is 45 minutes away)
    I don't think you'll need more than one pack of 2 one-gallon jugs, if that. Remember to keep the M/A in a safe place.
    • Will the Ca precipitate at this low of ph?
    No, just the opposite. It makes it LESS likely.
    • What are the long term effects of just leaving it alone and adding acid weekly?
    That depends. If you add acid weekly to drive the pH down, the T/A will come down with it. Aeration drives the pH back up without raising T/A--that's why we do it.

If you lower pH to 7.2 each week, your T/A should come down (unless your fill water you add is high t/a).

if you don't lower it that much, your T/A won't come down. You may get scaling, and, if calcium goes up, it may precipitate and you'll then HAVE to go through the lowering procedure.
    • I am going to salt my pool for that oohhh so good feeling talked about in the other post. Do I need to wait untill after I drop the ALK?
    It's always wisest to clear up one problem before making such a change. I don't know that you'll have a problem--you may not, but I do know you won't if you wait until T/A is right.

I am shooting to do the procedure after the weather warms up. I know the fountain will drop the temp and the pool is way too cold (for me) right now.
    Thanks in advance
    Steve
    Can't help you with the cold water! Get the T/A down and get a solar cover for AFTER. I think the thickest transparent ones work best. They insulate the most and pass the most light. I've tried the blue ones and the opaque ones and I like this best.
    Carl

CarlD
    I understand about not useing the cover. CO2 has to be able to out gas. I have a blue one but have been to lazy to put it back on. I am gonna build a reel for it next year. I am also looking at building solar heating racks. Just put in a house before the pool so I am going on way too many projects both in time and $$$. I guess I might give the alk drop a whirl sooner than planned. I told the future wife about the salt ideal and you know how it goes. Btw seen your pool the other post very nice.

Thanks again
    Steve

Based on my recent experience, I wouldn't start aerating until your PH has dropped to your target level.

After that, the process works as advertised

I was gonna drop the ph to 7 before dropping in the fountain.
    Thanks again
    Steve

Preformed the procedure last week end and it worked. I did adjust the ph to 7.0 every 2 hours. I went from a 220 – 230 ALK to a 160 – 170 ALK in 7 hours. I checked my ALK last evening and the ALK is 140 – 150 with a ph of 7.5. The ph has held since Saturday afternoon. Thanks again for all the great info. My water looks like glass.
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread