+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clear solar cover options? Magni Clear?

Default Clear solar cover options? Magni Clear?

In searching the forum I see several posts that a clear cover is the better option vs blue and black. I am having a hard time coming up with options though as well as a purchasing source. There are 2 on eBay: Magni clear and Ultra therm...but the descriptions look identicle. I cant find the manufacture's website. They also say "above ground" in the descriptions - is there really a difference between above and inground covers as I have an inground fiberglass?

Ultra Therm:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/15-x-30-Oval-ULT...QQcmdZViewItem

Magni-Clear
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Above-Ground-Mag...QQcmdZViewItem

Default Re: Clear solar cover options? Magni Clear?

I have the MagniClear on my inground--it is FABULOUS. Our pool is 16x32, but onl 3 to 4.5 ft deep. After two full days of cover, the water temp went from 78 to 85--we had a great evening swim yesterday!

I used to have a blue blanket, but the clear is hands-down the more effective.

pool newby is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst pool newby 0

I have considered getting a solar cover or blanket, as I've heard them called. I guess I'm little confused about how they actually install. Do they float on the water ?(what keeps them from blowing off?), or does it wrap over the sides, kinda like winter covers ? Also, how easy are they to put on and take off ? Some pictures of the cover/blanket on would be great, if anybody has any. BTW, I have an 18' AGP.

thanks

Bob P
    pool newby
    E TN

Basically solar covers "float" on the water. Since they sort of "stick" to the water when wet the only time they might blow off is in a huge storm, even then with the lip around the pool it is pretty unlikely to get wind under the cover enough to lift off.

Most people use a reel and just roll them up when not in use, but you could just drag them off in a pile, just a little more work getting on and off. Our pool is rectangular so it is pretty easy, but in an "L", peanut or other odd shape a cover might be more difficult to get on and off. You can see our rolled up at the end.

Tredge is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Tredge 0

Pool Covers dont heat your pool! The Sun heats your pool and a cover(Even a clear one) will prevent solar energy from getting into your pool to some degree.

Pool Covers Do prevent heat loss. 70% of heat loss is from evaporation, around 20% from radiation and another 10% through the ground.

The Optimal pool cover would be a totally clear cover during the day and a silver backed cover at night (To reduce loss to radiation).

If you leave the cover on all the time...I'm not sure which will give you better performance. Clear is my guess.

If you only put a cover on at night, silver is going to be better.

In general covers are meant to prevent heat loss and thats it. Companies that tell you their special bubbles amplify the sun and heat the pool are full of crap!
    Last edited by Tredge; 06-28-2006 at 05:27 PM.
    Some people have hobbies.....I have a pool.

Went ahead and got the Magni-Clear...found it for $85 shipped for a 15x30 oval via: http://www.aquasuperstore.com/detail...D=3215&FROOGLE

Thanks everyone! I'll update the thread after it arrives and we try it out.

The Magni-Clear been on for 2 days now and it works VERY WELL. Our pool is normally around 83 degrees...it was 93 after 24 hours - went down to 90 after we got into the pool, swam around, and got rid of a few cool spots. This is my first pool cover, so I cannot compare. What I can say though is that it was just as warm on the bottom of the pool as the top. There were a few cool spots probably from where there were larger airbubles between teh water and pool cover.

Now I just have to find an easier way to store this sucker...I was hoping to avoid the reel costs.

+ Reply to Thread