+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Added DE to Sand Filter, 1 cup didn't raise PSi

Default Added DE to Sand Filter, 1 cup didn't raise PSi

Tonight I added some DE to my sand filter. As members have stated on this website I add 1/3c. at a time checked the pressure went up a tiny bit, waited a few minutes andded another 1/3c. waited hovered around the same psi so I added 1/3c. more went up a tiny bit more. No way near a 1lb of pressure. My gauge isn't the best but it does go down when I backwash. I'm thinking from what I read 1c. of DE should be PLENTY for the 17" 150lb sand filter. Is this correct? If I added way too much please let me know and I'll backwash ASAP.

gwrace1 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst gwrace1 0

Default Re: Added DE to Sand Filter, 1 cup didn't raise PSi

You might want to consider zeolite as a sand filter media replacement. If filters down to 2 microns which is better than a DE filter and much less maintenance. I've only backwashed my 26" filter once in 4 months and water is always crystal clear.

33' Artesian Echo Canyon Ultra II round with 54" wall 26000 gallon capacity -- 1.5 HP 2 Speed Pump / Pentair 26" Sand Filter with Zeolite filter media
    Aquarite Salt Water Generator -- Complete aluminum deck with fence kit
    Aqualuminator with Fountain -- Solar Pool Lights
    Pool Pictures at the link below
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548241672nKeuyR

We were going to use Zeolite but the 2 pool stores in my area didn't carry it and I didn't feel like waiting and ordering it online. I had emptied out my sand filter last year because of concerns of a cracked lateral. Ended up being a crack in the main trunk that the laterals screw into. Then just refilled with regular pool sand. I'm still not convinced it's the filter putting the dirt into the pool or the dogs/kids running around outside. Our pool sits at the bottom of a small hill so it would be really easy for it to settle.

I tried panty hose on the return for 2 days and never had much in it...although the fine dirt would pass right on through.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Curious what size pump is feeding the filter? I'd add another cup and keep an eye on the return jets to see if the DE is coming back into the pool. With my 300# Hayward it takes about 15 minutes or so for the pressure to rise and stabilize.
    Al

I have a 1.5hp one speed pump and from what I've been reading on this forum is way too much for my 7500 gallon pool. Also on the pump I can't see how many GPM's it's turning out. The filter says 35max GPM's. Not on the pump not in the manual either.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

1.5 HP pump on a 150# filter is way oversized. All bets are off in this situation with the DE. You could very well be blowing stuff right thru the filter. As I said before, look at the return jets and see if the stuff is blowing thru. Best I can suggest for now.
    Al

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

reality check on zeolite. the grains do have small pores in them that can theoretically filter down to a few microns but water is going to take the path of least reisitance which will be BETWEEN the grains of zeolite, not through them...just like with sand! You might get marginally better filtraton but, IMHO, this is just a new 'snake oil' being peddled to unsuspecting pool owners!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

I have pondered zeolite just for ammonia removal but also thinking about salting my pool. From my understanding it uses salt for the ion exchange and you have to rebalance the equation every year by soaking the zeolite in a brine solution. If I were to use zeolite in a salted pool would it loose the ability to do the ion exchange killing the ammonia removal?
    I did add DE to my filter about ¾ cup and got a 4 to 5 lb increase in psi. It gave me very good results. I no longer see as many particles in front of my pool light and the water sparkles in the sun.
    Thanks
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread