+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Borax

fcfrey is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst fcfrey 0

Default Borax

Easing into the BBB method of doing things.

Cl=2ppm
    TA=120
    CYA=40
    Temp 82F

pH is 7.0 after 5.75 inches of acid rain. Every thing else is in specs. How many mules do I throw into the pool?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Borax

Start with about 1/2 box, add slowly through skimmer breaking up clumps, give it a couple hours to circulate, then test--and add more as needed. You're looking for the 7.2-7.6 range.

Janet

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by fcfrey
    How many mules do I throw into the pool?
    Thanks for the morning chuckle! What a GREAT visual image! "Hee-Haw, Hee-Haw!"
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by aylad
    Start with about 1/2 box, add slowly through skimmer breaking up clumps, give it a couple hours to circulate, then test--and add more as needed. You're looking for the 7.2-7.6 range.

Janet
    Not to be a PITA, but what size box? Is this the "grocery store standard size" or the "Sam's Warehouse Club" box? Can you give your recommendation in cups or something? Thanks!!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Yeah, Watermom's right, as usual. Sorry, I rarely have to use it, so I only get the grocery store box.

Janet

Thanks to all --- Glad I could add a bit of humor for all. Next step will be Bleach --- downloaded the calculator. Problem is I have lots of pucks and Cal Hypo left.

May try a liquid shock today -- smelling the chloromines just a bit, soooo.... Do need to add OTO to my DPH kit so I can look at the higher CL Levels.

If your calcium level isn't too high (more than 200 or so for a vinyl pool, then you can still use the cal-hypo to shock if you want to--you just don't want to let it get high enough to start precipitating out of the water. Tightly cap your trichlor picks, and you can use them at the beginning of next season when you're trying to raise your CYA again.

Janet

OK --- that sounds reasonable --- Perhaps I should start another thread for this question.

I have never seen a difference when I test for total chlorine. Using a DPD test kit --- Fresh reagents and careful attention to procedure. Free chlorine now is between 2 & 3 when I add the 5 drops of R0003 nothing changes. We shock regularly (once per month) and I really don't want to see any combined chlorine but I would think I should see something. Perhaps I shock too often??

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

+ Reply to Thread