+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Safe Swimming Chlorine Levels

Default Safe Swimming Chlorine Levels

Hey all

This is my first post here. Been reading for quite some time, and will probably be switching from Baquabeast pretty soon.

I understand that I would need to keep Cl at 15. Is that swimmable??? I read that you should only swim with no more than 3PPM

I'm trying to understand all the chlorine and chemicals before we take the plunge, and I want to make sure that my kids aren't going to get hurt with a too high chlorine level.

Our old pool at the old house used chlorine tabs, so I found that pretty easy. I've never done the BBB.

Looking forward to the switch, but also worried about losing a week in a short swim season.

Thanks again!!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Safe Swimming Chlorine Levels

You'll only need to keep the chlorine at 15 during your conversion. Then, you'll drop it down depending on your stabilizer level. Being able to swim at only 3 ppm or less is not true. You won't want your kids to swim during the conversion. The more often you test and add enough bleach to bring the cl level back up to 15, the faster the conversion will go. We usually suggest 3x a day, but another poster a few weeks ago tested and dosed every couple of hours and his conversion went really, really fast -- like in a weekend if I remember correctly. So, it doesn't really have to make you lose much of your swim season if you really stay at it for a few days. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks Watermom for clearing that up ( hah!! pun intended)

So once I'm holding 15 then I can let it drop to what the cya level dictates???

Well since I'm home, I will be testing every couple of hours. I figure at least every 3 hours.

Hopefully it will go smoothly and quickly.

I will start a thread in the Baquacil forum once the conversion process is started.

I really have to say how much I've learned from this forum. Thank you to all of you for the wealth of information you all provide.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

While you are in the midst of the conversion, you'll go through chlorine fast. Each time you test, add enough bleach to get it back up to 15. After the conversion is over, you'll then add stabilizer. We like to recommend cya (stabilizer) levels of 30-50. Good luck on your conversion. I'll look for your new thread in the baq forum.

Thanks and will do!!

+ Reply to Thread