We're building a new house in Florida. It will have porches about 30" - 36" above ground level. I would like my pool deck to be at the same level as the porches. We prefer a wood pool deck and would have this option even if the pool was a conventional In Ground.

I have had two conventional, concrete In Ground pools over the past 28 years, so I have experience with construction, maintenance and restoration of this type of pool. I have never had a vinyl liner pool.

If I construct a conventional concrete pool for my new house, it's my understanding that I would have to construct retaining walls in order to backfill around the pool. The same is true, I believe, if I try to use a vinyl liner pool designed for In Ground use. Constructing retaining walls and backfilling around the pool really adds to the cost.

What I want to do is use a high quality Above Ground pool, but install it partially in the ground. For example, the shallow end might be at or just below grade, while the 6' deep end might be half below grade. The obvious alternative is an In Ground kit that could have as much as 36" of the sides supported above ground, without backfilling.

I've been searching on-line and haven't found any references to either type of installation. I don't know if it's possible or where to turn to find the advice. Any and all comments are invited.

I'd also like comments on high quality pool suppliers. As near as I can determine, no matter how expensive, there is no vinyl liner pool that would cost more than a conventional gunite pool, so the cost of the pool kit is secondary to very high quality.