Closed Thread

Thread: Partial In Ground and Above Ground

Default Partial In Ground and Above Ground

We're building a new house in Florida. It will have porches about 30" - 36" above ground level. I would like my pool deck to be at the same level as the porches. We prefer a wood pool deck and would have this option even if the pool was a conventional In Ground.

I have had two conventional, concrete In Ground pools over the past 28 years, so I have experience with construction, maintenance and restoration of this type of pool. I have never had a vinyl liner pool.

If I construct a conventional concrete pool for my new house, it's my understanding that I would have to construct retaining walls in order to backfill around the pool. The same is true, I believe, if I try to use a vinyl liner pool designed for In Ground use. Constructing retaining walls and backfilling around the pool really adds to the cost.

What I want to do is use a high quality Above Ground pool, but install it partially in the ground. For example, the shallow end might be at or just below grade, while the 6' deep end might be half below grade. The obvious alternative is an In Ground kit that could have as much as 36" of the sides supported above ground, without backfilling.

I've been searching on-line and haven't found any references to either type of installation. I don't know if it's possible or where to turn to find the advice. Any and all comments are invited.

I'd also like comments on high quality pool suppliers. As near as I can determine, no matter how expensive, there is no vinyl liner pool that would cost more than a conventional gunite pool, so the cost of the pool kit is secondary to very high quality.
    ...Don

I had been looking into that at one time. Doughboy pools will give you complete instructions on how to do it without voiding the warranty and their pools can have a deep end up to 6 feet. www.hoffinger.com is the web address you need to get the contacts for the instructions. Your local Doughboy dealer may know how do it. Mine didn't.
    Also check Champlain pools by Technican www.technican.ca

They are "onground" pools of inground quality. www.propools.com sells them online.
    Last edited by poolbee; 04-06-2006 at 11:40 AM.

Great references. The "On Ground" system by Champlain is offered for precisely my needs - partially in ground.

I also spoke to a rep from Hydra Pools, makers of Hydra, Cornerstone and Pinnacle in ground pools. He said that if I was able to use a berm of dirt for backfill, sloping away from the pool 15' to 20', that would be sufficient without retaining walls I forgot to mention in my first message that we have plenty of room; the property is 5 acres.

Which leads to another question: The Champlain pools are steel walls and the Hydra pools are polymer walls. This pool will be located in sub-tropical Central South Florida, and anything put in the ground is liable to rot. I think I would prefer the plastic panels, but I'm open to being convinced one way or the other.
    ...Don

Waterworks is offline In the pool biz Thread Analyst Waterworks 0

For On Ground Pools we use the Champlain pools by Technican, as well as the Eternity Pool by RP Industries (Located in Quebec Canada, but currently owned by SCP). The nice thing about the Eternity is the 48" walls, as opposed to 42", as well as the extra shapes that are available.

www.industriesrp.com

Brad

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Making an I/G pool A/G

I've seen 2 of these attempts, and neither of them worked (in the long 5-7yrs run). The panals are there to hold the liner, not to keep the pool's shape. The previous post was right in that you'd need at least 5' of backfill around it. Perhaps a few more steps are in order so that you have an inground pool. If you want an A/G pool, put one up and surround it with a deck, but trying to hybrid it won't last
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to construct some sort of retaining wall. I don't want the deck to look like it's built on a wall, but the deck will be at least 8' wide all around, so a retaining wall about 5' from the pool will be OK. The wall will also provide excellent support for the deck.

From a longevity point of view, I'd rather have an in-ground that needs a retaining wall than an above-ground which is partially buried. I don't think most above ground pools could take the underground environment. Also, I see that the variety if shapes is much, much greater for the in-ground. After more research, I definitely think the polymer panels are better for Florida.

Anyone want to take a shot at convincing me that a gunite pool would be so much better than a liner pool that it's worth the extra money? Remember, I've had a couple of concrete pools and have had to refinish the interior about as often as a liner has to be replaced, and I've had losts of experience battling the calcium loss problems.
    ...Don

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

There are two options:
    1) an I/G pool with steel walls that can be completely A/G safely--they are sold
    2) A/Gs that follow the old red-wood pool style of the late 60's and 70's. These are Fanta-Seas and Kayaks and both can use plastic aluminum honeycomb walls with lifetime warranties.
    Carl

Closed Thread