+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When is the best time to run your pump... and for how long

Default When is the best time to run your pump... and for how long

My husband and I can not seem to agree as to how long the pump needs to run and what time of the day is best to do it. I have a 12,000 gallon fiberglass pool in South Louisiana temps are mid 90's ervery day-very little rain and pool is in full sun. I switched to bleach this spring when I discovered I had a CYA level over 150- even with partial emptying ( at least 8 times) it is still around 135- this means that I add bleach- a lot at night and some during the day to keep my cl level around 7-10. My pool water is crystal clear- PH 7.4 TA- 150 Cal- 250

Since I am adding the majority of bleach at around 9PM I have been running the pump 24/7. My husband would like to run it 10-12 hr perday. When would be the best time to run pump?

Thanks for any help. I have enjoyed reading all posts- I check in a couple of times a day. You all are great!

Default Re: When is the best time to run your pump... and for how long

I also have a 12000 gallon FB pool. I run my pump 3 times a day: from 8pm to midnight, then from 5am to 7am, then from noon to 2 pm. 8 hrs total.

I add bleach at 8pm, letting it work without the sun to use it up. I check chemistry in the am before work (thus the early start time), and I run the third cycle from noon to 2pm just to move the water around under the solar cover.

I live in the Mojave Desert, it's been over 110 here lately, the pool is in full sun from 8am to 5pm.

My pool is crystal, liquid glass clear.

Temp = 88
    FC = 5
    CC = 0
    CYA = 60
    PH = 7.8 (too high, adding acid tomorrow)
    TA = 120

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

Are you working on an algae kill? Why the 7-10 FC level? Anywho, we run ours on a timer, 11:15am-8pm (sun goes around house at 7 so we add chlorine from 7-8pm)
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Most pools require 1 to 2 turnovers per day for proper filtration. Here is a thread on how to calculate turnover.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=3022
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Not working on an algae kill- My CYA is high (135) so in order to maintain balance I have to run a high chlorine. Based on Bens best calculations I need to keep my Free chlorine between 8-15 ppm. It is working - my pool is crystal clear!

+ Reply to Thread