+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Terrible time checking PH this year

Default Terrible time checking PH this year

I bought the full size kit and the daily kit from pool solutions last year.

But I misplaced the PH test bottle.

To my surprise Leslies pools carried the Taylor chemicals so I bought a new one.

But it's coming out real dark. The "color" looks in the 7.2, 7.5 range but it's way darker and I'm not sure if I'm off the scale or right on.

I also checked with my quick dip sticks it seems in the ball bark.

But why is it reading so dark? Is it bad?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Terrible time checking PH this year

Taylor makes a few different versions of phenol red to be used with different comparators. The one Ben uses with his newer kits is R-0014. You probably bought a bottle of R-0004 that is used with the Taylor K-2005, K-2006, and Ben's older kits. Check the number on your reagent bottle. I bet you have the wrong one!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Awesome, I can't recall, I'll check tonight.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Evan probably nailed it. With the PS-233, you need R0014. With the PS-232, I think Ben used R-0004. They ARE different in concentration, and I believe R-0014 has chlorine neutralizer as well. (I don't think 0004 does.)
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    Evan probably nailed it. With the PS-233, you need R0014. With the PS-232, I think Ben used R-0004. They ARE different in concentration, and I believe R-0014 has chlorine neutralizer as well. (I don't think 0004 does.)
    R-0004 is also stabilzied against high clorine levels but is meant to be used with a 45 ml water sample so acid and base demand tests can be run (useless tests except under very special circumstances that most people will never need).
    Last edited by waterbear; 06-24-2006 at 07:32 AM.

You guys were right, it was R-0004
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IG 21k Vinyl Liner in MA, PS233 Kit, 2 Speed 1HP Pump, Sta-Rite Cartridge, Tablets

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    R-0004 is also stabilzied against high clorine levels but is meant to be used with a 45 ml water sample so acid and base demand tests can be run (usless tests except under very special circumstances that most people will never need).
    I wasn't sure that 0004 had the neutralizer. So I stand corrected.

I certainly agree that acid and base demand tests are useless and a HUGE waste of test kit real estate.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    I wasn't sure that 0004 had the neutralizer. So I stand corrected.

I certainly agree that acid and base demand tests are useless and a HUGE waste of test kit real estate.
    Well, they are useful until a noobie gets the hang of how much of what to add when. Once the noobie knows how to do that though, they're useless again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Raddish
    Well, they are useful until a noobie gets the hang of how much of what to add when. Once the noobie knows how to do that though, they're useless again.
    Not true, they are dangerous in the hands of a newbie.....if you follow them it is way to easy to overdose. pH adjustment is not a simple thing and is influenced by the Total Alkalinity. A LOT of chemistry happens in the water when you make pH adjustments that affect more than just the pH The Acid and Base demand tests make some assumptions as to what the TA is. IF the TA is out of range then the results are not valid. It is better to add a small amount, wait a day, retest, and add more if needed. If you keep a log of the pH and the additions and also track you TA you wil soon learn just what kind of adjustments you need for your pool.
    The Acid and Base demand tests, IMHO, are only useful in the hands of a skilled technician when rapid changes in pH are needed such as an acid startup of a new plaster pool.

+ Reply to Thread