+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Neighbors and Pool Installation (LONG)

Default Neighbors and Pool Installation (LONG)

We had a new house built in 2005. We decided we wanted to pay for the pool cash from the sale of the old house.

So during our home construction we approached our new neighbors - a lovely newly wed couple - about the fact that we were installing a pool - they seemed thrilled at the prospect of coming over and swimming.

Well we finally were able to sell the old house in May and immediately put the down payment on the pool to get started and I went next door to get the use of land agreement signed since we have to use about 5' of their side yard for equipment to move in and out.

Our first clue that this was probably going to be harder than we expected was when Mrs. Lovely Newly Wed said "Well they better not hit the house because it will never be the same!" I told them that if there was any damage it would be covered, etc and that we would pay for damage to their grass and irrigation system.

The pool was dug yesterday. I get a call from the pool builder that the guys digging the pool overheard her talking very frantically on the phone outside about how there was dirt on her house, etc. I asked the builder if she had come over and actually complained, he said no and that they would be done in 45 minutes. I told him to just get done and get out of there.

As soon as I could, I left the tradeshow I was working (50 miles from home) and drove home to make sure that Mrs. Lovely Newly Wed was okay with how they left it. Talked with her and she says "well our spinklers are burried and I was worried about our gutter downspout being burried, but they cleaned it all up and its ok" I asked her if she wanted me to unbury thesprinkler heads- she laughed and say no - don't worry about it. So like an idiot I forgot about it.

Today the pool builder comes to install the steel and the neighbors come over (while I am at school) and tell my husband that they are really upset about the sprinkler heads being under dirt- and then proceeded to accusing us of breaking one of their sprinkler heads like 3 weeks ago and throwing it in their yard (where the he** did that come from )????

Pissed off the husband - so I get home and tell him it isn't worth him getting upset. I walk over there and ask them to please tell me exactly what they want done so it can be taken care of tomorrow. 6 sprinkler heads capped at the lines - fine - no problem.

Then they start complaining that there is gravel in the back and they cannot mow because a rock may fly up and break one of their windows. So I state "You need to tell us what you want done so we can fix it because if we don't know - we can't get it right." They keep complaining about it- so I ask "do you want me to take a broom and try to sweep it up - or if you want I can mow it" They get even pissier and Mr. Lovely Newly Wed says "that won't help".

So I thank them for letting us use their yard to install the pool and that we don't want them inconvienanced (sp?)....

Maybe I should have purchased the smaller house on the bigger lot!

Thanks for letting me vent

You can see the pictures of what they are complaining about on my signature
    Completed 8/21/06
    14,000 gallon 3'-6' concrete pool with Diamond Brite
    Spa with spillway
    250K BTU gas heater (for spa)
    SWCG - Aqua Rite
    Hayward Super II Pump - Cartridge filter

See pictures here http://www.philsimmons.com/family/ga...mages&keyword=

Default Re: Neighbors and Pool Installation (LONG)

Sound like a couple of people I wouldn't be inviting over. They sound nuttier than squirrel turds. Keep them away from your water unless you enjoy swimming in your neighbors urine

My neighbor is a dolt too so don't feel bad. I walk right by and don't even look at him. His wife is nice though. I still say hello to her.

You have a agreement signed from them ??? Dont worry about and enjoy the pool when its done. If they ask about swimming smile and mention some chem issue and feared legal action aginst you. Looks like its gonna be a very nice pool.
    Steve

edit
    I am gonna get slapped for this : Tell them you have too much dihydrogenmonoxide in your pool to be safe.
    If you want to know why I will get slapped read this thread
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=2619
    Last edited by medvampire; 06-22-2006 at 11:21 PM.

These are the people I say are Cookoo for Cocoa Puffs. They are the ones who say that since they swam in your pool, their eye hurts, or their skin feels funny and try to ask everyone else who comes over if theirs does too. Best thing to do is put up a fence, tall fences can make for good neighbors sometimes. Or else if you don't want to be too rude, a nice border of Rose Of Sharon and just let it get tall, that way it is a slow slap in the face.

My neighbors are all cool, I am lucky I suppose. Good luck with the weird-o's.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Y'know--there are always two sides to the story....

What WAS your agreement with them? How serious an impact did it actually have on their house? Did your builder exceed your agreement with them? Was cleanup and repair done in timely fashion?

Sounds like the impact on their yard was FAR more than they expected and they reacted emotionally rather than logically.

They may be nuttier than a squirrel's stash, but they, too, have a legit beef. It sounds like they handled it badly, though.

Neighbors' construction can have quite a lousy impact on your quality of life. After years of a development going in behind us, with lots of blasting, the new house behind us was occupied. They then IMMEDIATELY had the trees between us taken down and we looked at dirt and construction for then next 13 months. The drainage "solution" their landscaper put in has been causing pooling in MY back yard....Am I a rotten neighbor for being upset? Then the guy next to him is doing construction now, up hill from us. I did speak to his architect and they are ensuring that the OTHER source of flooding in our backyard will be fixed too...

All by careful back-fence diplomacy--and a wife smart enough to tell me to use that first...
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by sevver
    These are the people I say are Cookoo for Cocoa Puffs. They are the ones who say that since they swam in your pool, their eye hurts, or their skin feels funny and try to ask everyone else who comes over if theirs does too. Best thing to do is put up a fence, tall fences can make for good neighbors sometimes. Or else if you don't want to be too rude, a nice border of Rose Of Sharon and just let it get tall, that way it is a slow slap in the face.

My neighbors are all cool, I am lucky I suppose. Good luck with the weird-o's.
    Good advice.

I, too am lucky in the neighbor department. Up until three months ago, my grandfather was my neighbor--he is 91 and finally decided to go live with my mother. We have just barely started construction on our new home--next door to my dad! Ain't nothin' but a family thing...

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    Y'know--there are always two sides to the story....

What WAS your agreement with them? How serious an impact did it actually have on their house? Did your builder exceed your agreement with them? Was cleanup and repair done in timely fashion?

Sounds like the impact on their yard was FAR more than they expected and they reacted emotionally rather than logically.
    That's the craziest thing - they did sign an agreement that allowed the entire use of their side yard. I told them that their sprinklers were going to get trashed and that we would pay for repairs and resod any area that was damaged.

When I talked with them the day of digging, Mrs. Lovely Newly Wed didn't even tell me they were broken, just that they were burried. When I asked if I could do something - she says no.

We are only 3 days into construction - I just hope the pool builder hurries.

We are going on vacation all week next week - I hope they don't burn our house down while we are gone.
    Completed 8/21/06
    Spa with spillway
    SWCG - Aqua Rite

My out take they should have said something when there was a problem not wait. Take in to account that it IS concruction and things will be a mess during this time. List things that need fixed, let you know about it, and at the end of the concruction hold your feet to the fire to get it done.
    Good luck and have a great vacation
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by cruzmisl
    Sound like a couple of people I wouldn't be inviting over. They sound nuttier than squirrel turds. Keep them away from your water unless you enjoy swimming in your neighbors urine

My neighbor is a dolt too so don't feel bad. I walk right by and don't even look at him. His wife is nice though. I still say hello to her.

Agreed, and your neighbors are the same as mine.

The only problem I see with there lots is no private fence (from the pics). Seems like more then the neighbors will try to attempt to invite themselves when your out on a little vacation. Btw.. nice pond out there. Hope that no ducks or other rodents will enjoy your pool water better

Great to vent and love these type of stories. Keep them coming
    Last edited by Pool_Mike; 06-23-2006 at 12:47 PM.

OMG - it gets better - the sprinkler company came out to fix the sprinkler heads and they were not home. Husband calls them to tell them that the sprinkler company needs to be able to turn the system on to find the heads and verify they have been fixed. They tell us that they should not have to take off of work or come home to deal with this.

So my husand left them the sprinkler company's card and a letter for them to contact them to schedule a time when it is convienant for them.

I just hope they don't try and get me to replace the sod in their whole yard because heads are broken in 3 of the zones and they can't turn on the system.

Maybe I should leave a new hose and sprinkler for them too when we leave? If this gets really bad (although I don't know it can get worse) I will just tell them to sue me and we'll see who runs out of money first
    Completed 8/21/06
    Spa with spillway
    SWCG - Aqua Rite

+ Reply to Thread