+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Neighbors and Pool Installation (LONG)

Default Re: Neighbors and Pool Installation (LONG)

Okay they came over last night and talked to my husband while I was taking the kids to swimming lessons. They had a whole week and a half to brew up stuff so here is their latest laundry list.
    1. The sprinklers are not fixed because they did NOT call the sprinkler company because they shouldn't HAVE to call them - it's our job. DH told them that we tried that and they were not home - so that we would be happy to call the sprinkler company but that they would need to coordinate with them to be home when they come out. Then DH finds out that all the sprinkler heads are on ONE zone (not three like they told me last week) which they have turned off and there is no grass in that zone right now.
    2. They are upset that the pool equipment will be installed on our side yard that faces them. They wanted us to move it to the other side of the house. DH told them that we couldn't do that because of zoning regulations (not true but they cannot argue with that!)
    3. They want us to sign a piece of paper stating that we will pay to relocate or remove and replace our pool equipment in the event they choose to build a pool. They seem to think that the equipment would not be able to get past our pool equipment. DH told them that a pool company could get around it, but they argued with him over it.
    4. They want us to bury the gas tank in the ground, because "everyone else's is like that" (except of course the other five gas tanks on our street). DH said that he would look into it.
    5. They are really "concerned" about drainage - as the ground does not slope the way that they want it. DH reminded them that the pool company is not done yet and that they will need to level the ground to install the pavers.

So I have decided to write a letter with the following...
    • As we discussed before we went on vacation - you need to contact the sprinkler company to repair your sprinklers so that they can make sure that you are home and that you can verify they are fixed according to your specifications. We will be covering any costs for repairing damage from the pool company.
    • We will be more than happy to sign a land use and access agreement as you signed for us in the event that you would like to have a pool installed in your yard. In the event of damages, we would expect the same thing that you do, which is that all damages to our property will be repaired at your or your pool company's expense.
    • As far as the gas tank location on our property. We will locate the tank according to the most economical solution for us. If you would like to assist with the cost of burying the tank, we would be willing to discuss it.
    • We expect that the project will be done between the end of July and the end of August. At the end of the project the grading will be completed and we will have all of your sod replaced and verify that your sprinkler system is functioning to the "pre-pool" condition.

I'm really mad right now - is that clear enough?

**EDIT**

Okay here are some pictures

Last edited by Simmons99; 07-06-2006 at 11:10 AM.
    Completed 8/21/06
    14,000 gallon 3'-6' concrete pool with Diamond Brite
    Spa with spillway
    250K BTU gas heater (for spa)
    SWCG - Aqua Rite
    Hayward Super II Pump - Cartridge filter

See pictures here http://www.philsimmons.com/family/ga...mages&keyword=

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

I apologize beforehand for saying this Ben, but these people are FIRST CLASS IDIOTS, they're concerned over THAT???
    That's gotta be one of the least intrusive construction jobs I've seen in my life.
    Well, I sure hope they put in a pool as well, not so they can have fun swimming, but so YOU can have fun with the PAYBACK.
    Oh, and if they ask you for advice on pool buiders to choose, make sure you recommend the worst one out there!

This just sounds like they're thinking that they can make some money on this!
    Don't people have better things to do with their time, what's this world coming to??????

If they get on your case during the install, imagine what they would have to say when they find out you'll use *bleach* to chlorinate the pool.

Are you trying to poison them when they go swimming?

I wish you luck. I know we hear it alot ("kill them with kindness") but Ive never been good at it....I suppose in the end it might actually work out, but while you're enduring the pain you just wanna do the first part ("kill them").

Luckily Ive been blessed with very nice neighbors that dont mind if I have to drive a little over their yard (sometimes backing into my back yard with a truck load of mulch is hard to do). Ive extended them the same privelage and we all seem to get along.

-Chris

joliecharlie is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst joliecharlie 0

Your story gives good reason to take BEFORE photos of your yard and the neighbors yard...on both sides. I work in the dental field and is amazing how short folks memories of how things "used to look" good or bad.Thankfully we live on 5 acres and my neighbor has 10 acres... I fuss at her all the time for letting her leaves blow in my yard and she complains about our pine cones!!!

who gives @ crap what they request and want. It is your property and you tell them you will put your pumps where ever youwant. You pay your property taxes and mortgage, not them!!

Only thing I will tell them is you will hide the pump equipment when the time comes and also it would look nicer. But honestly it is none of there darn business. Put your foot down. I moved from our last neighborhood b/c our neigbors were total ^&%!!!!!
    I rest asure now,, I will not take any BS from no neighbor now!!

Tell them how it is!! Plain and simple!!

Good luck!!

Neighbors - they come in all kinds.

Here's our pool/ neighbor story (I'll keep it brief):

We decided to build an inground pool in Feb. 2003. The kids were at an age where we hoped to keep them around the house during their teens! Anyway, before we got into it much at all, we approached the neighbors on each side of the house, both of whom we had good relationships with. On the side where all the pool construction equipment would traverse, the neighbor agreed immediately to cooperate (we promised to restore his yard and irrigation after construction). But the other neighbor, whose yard would not be impacted at all, really pushed back. They were childless (but young) and were concerned my kids would have wild pool parties. We shrugged our shoulders since we really did not need their permission.

We proceeded working with the builder and finally on June 3rd we got permits. Two days later we were served a summons - the "bad" neighbor was sueing us and obtained a restraining order! Something about "spoiling the parklike setting of our subdivision". The next 3 months were spent with our lawyer and in court, but in early September, the judge ruled in our favor. Unfortunately in August, the pool builder disappeared with our down payment (and several others too). It was all over the local news. So by this time we had spent $6,000 on legal fees and lost $15,000 in down payment.

The "bad" neighbor put his house up for sale 1 week after the ruling and was gone by November. Good riddence. Our lawyer hooked us up with a repudable pool builder and by Nov, we had a beautiful new pool all ready to close for the winter. We will be paying for it for the rest of our lives, but after what we went through, we were going to have a pool!

We now have a wonderful neighbor in the house that was sold, and I heard they the "bad" neighbors split up and moved to different cities. Sob sob. Moral of my story: watch out for your "bad" neighbor". Some people always have to be right, nothing will make them happy, and they will stop at nothing to get their way.

Good luck with your pool - it will be worth it in the end.

~Rick~
    18,000G freeform gunite; PebbleSheen; Sta-Rite System 3 Cartridge; Sta-Rite heater; Polaris AutoClear Cl Generator; Polaris 380 cleaner

Update -

I am wondering now if they have more of a mental disease or just mental illness. We recieved a letter from them demanding $75. This was because our pool company drove over some pineapple plants they had planted just outside their property line (community property) and because the pool company used their hose a couple of weeks ago and the nozzle leaks now.

So instead of coming over and talking to us - they went out and bought really nice pots, potting soil, new pineapples, and a new nozzle and want us to pay for it. (BTW - the original plants were in the gournd). Also we are horrible neighbors because we are putting them through all this anxiety over the last few months (the project started 22 days ago) and we have completely ruined their yard. Now they have all these huge boulders in their yard and we should have had the pool installed when the house was built and now we are even more awful because we won't move our pool equipment to the other side of the yard.

Last night when I got home (it was dark) - we went outside to take pictures of their old pineapple plants. It was dark so the flash went off. These plants are right on the property line between our houses and the community property that surrounds the pond. So we walk back to our porch and they come flying out of the back of their house with a flashlight looking for "who was in the backyard". DH and I were laughing so hard I thought I was going to puke - can you believe these people - I think they are unstable.

Okay - NOTHING has been done since my last pictures, except the plumber came out on 7/9 and fixed a leak and fixed the grade a little - we had water pooling against the foundation. The yard looks the same (but with some weeds) as it did in the pictures previously posted.

I have attached the letter we left them today.

PS - we are getting boxer pup in a few weeks - hopefully they will have a nervous breakdown and move

OLD Pineapple Plants (7/17)

NEW Pineapple Plants (7/17)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Simmons99; 07-17-2006 at 07:33 PM.
    Completed 8/21/06
    Spa with spillway
    SWCG - Aqua Rite

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

If they planted outside their property it now belongs to the owner of that land.

When we moved in, the previous owners had planted a lovely peach tree. When we went to fence the yard for the dog, the tree turned out to be on their property.

No issue, not our tree. Simple, no easement either.

Taking longer than it should? Well, that's usually a cause for SYMPATHY, not enmity--That's what I feel for the folks behind us--took 13 months from cutting down the trees between us (though we were assured by the builder that leaving the trees was required---HAH!) to swimming in their pool. Should have been done in 3, max. Now there's water running on to our yard. I've spoken gently to them and they've been OK with it. Turns out, their landscaper hit an aquafer and redirected it and left it running on their property--so THEY are ticked at their landscaper. So I can "be on their side" so it all smooths out--as long as they take care of it.
    Carl

We WERE really trying to be good neighbors and anytime I start thinking about doing something out of spite - I think "would a good neighbor do that?" - it will keep me out of trouble
    Completed 8/21/06
    Spa with spillway
    SWCG - Aqua Rite

Luvtlee is offline ** No working email address ** Luvtlee 0

Wow, that is really awful. That must be just horrible. I'm thankful that my neighbors on both sides aren't complaining about anything, even though the pool construction seems to be going on endlessly.

My sympathy goes out to you, I hope that no further problems arise with them.

+ Reply to Thread