+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Neighbors and Pool Installation (LONG)

Default Re: Neighbors and Pool Installation (LONG)

"A gentle answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger."

I would make sure their yard was better than it was before, along with sending Lovely Newly Wed a bouquet of flowers with a swimming invite upon completion.

I've unfortunately had the experience of living next to brooding neighbors - life's too short for that. JMHO.

MaryLee is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst MaryLee 0

Quote Originally Posted by tmmort
    "A gentle answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger."

I would make sure their yard was better than it was before, along with sending Lovely Newly Wed a bouquet of flowers with a swimming invite upon completion.

I've unfortunately had the experience of living next to brooding neighbors - life's too short for that. JMHO.
    Good advice!! I agree 100%. Rise above it all.
    18 X 40 IG Vinyl
    3 1/2' ft to 8' deep
    Pentair DE Filter
    400K BTU Pentair Minimax heater

Quote Originally Posted by tmmort
    I would make sure their yard was better than it was before
    I agree. At least then they have nothing to complain about.

along with sending Lovely Newly Wed a bouquet of flowers with a swimming invite upon completion.

Flowers? Swimming invite?? Are you kidding me? That will just reinforce their childish behaviour for the next project they're involved in. Not for me, but then again I 'm stubborn and will not give an inch especially since they happily agreed to the project. What did the neighbors think they were going to dig the pool with a garden shovel??

Just my 2 cents. Surely others would react differently. I think they are doing everything they can but the neighbors are uncooperative.

I agree, with that, if the neighbors agreed to the project, then ongoing perfection is not going to happen, their yard cannot be restored daily, they do not make hovercraft backhoes, and the dirt is not getting airlifted out of the backyard. Sounds like the neighbors are typical construction-ignorant types.

As for returning the yard back to better than original, by all means do that, but don't invite them over, I would say they would have to earn that.

leejp is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst leejp 0

Does your neighbor run out to grab soccer balls, baseballs, frisbees... that land on her yard too?
    26,000 Vynil Liner L Inground
    Hayward 1HP Superpump + Hayward Pro Grid 4800 DE Filter
    Poolvergnuegen thepoolcleaner Pressure Side Cleaner
    Loop-Loc Mesh cover

Update -

Right before we left for vacation on Sunday (6/23/06) - I wrote a letter (scanned and kept a copy) explaining that we had the sprinkler company out on Friday and they could not repair their system because no one was home to turn on the water. I continued that they are to contact the sprinkler company and included the guys name and number (the guy also left a card on their door) and that he would make an appointment at their convenience. I also told them that he would come by daily while we were out of town to immediately repair any damage that may occur. I thanked them for their patience and for their permission to use their yard for the installation.

I put it in an envelope with a bottle of wine on their front porch.

They came by about an hour later and thanked us for the wine and that they had talked to the sprinkler company.

Anyway - I have been home for 2 days now and they are not talking to us. So I guess I will wait until the PM for the pool builder calls me back to see what happened while we are gone.
    Completed 8/21/06
    14,000 gallon 3'-6' concrete pool with Diamond Brite
    Spa with spillway
    250K BTU gas heater (for spa)
    SWCG - Aqua Rite
    Hayward Super II Pump - Cartridge filter

See pictures here http://www.philsimmons.com/family/ga...mages&keyword=

Simmons,

That seems to be great news. You seem to be a great guy and take care of business. I wish I had a neighbor like you. To me you did all you can and you are being very helpfull to make sure your neighbor gets their yard issues resolved at the end of your pool project. I just hope the same happens here w/ us when out builder starts to break ground or break the fence down. Oh yea.... I have not told the neighbor yet. hehehe
    Last edited by Pool_Mike; 07-05-2006 at 02:57 PM.

tundraSQ is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst tundraSQ 0

Quote Originally Posted by Simmons99
    OMG - it gets better - the sprinkler company came out to fix the sprinkler heads and they were not home. Husband calls them to tell them that the sprinkler company needs to be able to turn the system on to find the heads and verify they have been fixed. They tell us that they should not have to take off of work or come home to deal with this.

So my husand left them the sprinkler company's card and a letter for them to contact them to schedule a time when it is convienant for them.

I just hope they don't try and get me to replace the sod in their whole yard because heads are broken in 3 of the zones and they can't turn on the system.

Maybe I should leave a new hose and sprinkler for them too when we leave? If this gets really bad (although I don't know it can get worse) I will just tell them to sue me and we'll see who runs out of money first
    Its easy for us to sit back and laugh, but I'm SURE its no joking matter to you...you just KNOW they are going to contact a lawyer the minute the pool is complete with a LONG list of "damages" and "pain and suffering"....you might want to look over your home owners policy, and take LOTS of photos to help defend your case...plus LOTS of notes.

Good Luck...and enjoy the pool.

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Man, am I glad I don't live in your neck of the woods, I have great neighbours!
    I really feel for you, definitely DO NOT EVER invite them over for a swim or anything else for that matter, get their yard fixed good as new, give them a sprinkler head or two for their troubles with a little note saying something like

...in case they didn't find them all.

Quote Originally Posted by sevver

As for returning the yard back to better than original, by all means do that, but don't invite them over, I would say they would have to earn that.
    I couldn't agree more. As you say...return the yard to the proper condition. I would also be more than willing to assist the neighbor with any repairs they may be doing on their own. But it doesn't seem that this young couple is concerned enough to get a little dirty while making the repairs themselves.

More often than not...it's much easier for people to complain rather than just fix the problem. It's also much quicker.

My guess...this couple will continue complaining about this much after the problem is gone.

take care,
    dan

+ Reply to Thread