+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Pool Startup - Help

Default New Pool Startup - Help

Pool Newbie here...

Had my pool startup last week with my PB. He shocked the pool, left some chlorine sticks, and test strips. I've ordered Ben's kit (not sure how long it will take to come).

Here are my pool specs:
    Gunite/Pebbletec
    40,000 gals; 3.5' to 8.5' depth
    DE Filter
    SWG (not turned on yet, PB will be back in 30 days to start it up)
    Fill water was trucked in but has been supplemented with well water. I also have an auto-fill from well so I will probably need to watch the minerals.

So, until he comes back to turn on SWG, I'm on my own. Since I don't like/trust the test strips, I went to the local pool store for measurements.

TC: 0
    FC: 0
    pH: 7.4
    Alk: 115
    TDS: 350
    CYA: 0

Water is clear and about 84 degrees..

Obviously the pool store is recommending shocking (Burn Out Extreme) then using Muriatic Acid to control the pH in case it rises. Are there other options like BBB until I'm ready for SWG?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

duraleigh Guest

Default Re: New Pool Startup - Help

Quote Originally Posted by under_h2o
    Pool Newbie here...

Had my pool startup last week with my PB. He shocked the pool, left some chlorine sticks, and test strips. I've ordered Ben's kit (not sure how long it will take to come).

Here are my pool specs:
    Gunite/Pebbletec
    40,000 gals; 3.5' to 8.5' depth
    DE Filter
    Fill water was trucked in but has been supplemented with well water. I also have an auto-fill from well so I will probably need to watch the minerals.

So, until he comes back to turn on SWG, I'm on my own. Since I don't like/trust the test strips, I went to the local pool store for measurements.

TC: 0
    FC: 0
    pH: 7.4
    Alk: 115
    TDS: 350
    CYA: 0

Water is clear and about 84 degrees..

Obviously the pool store is recommending shocking (Burn Out Extreme) then using Muriatic Acid to control the pH in case it rises. Are there other options like BBB until I'm ready for SWG?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
    Hi, Bob,

You've got lot's of options that don't include the pool store.

How does the water look?

Assuming it looks fine, my first thought would be to start putting in some maintenance chlorine to prevent algae.

This evening at dusk, I would put 2 large jugs of Clorox into the skimmer...pump running. It will be totally consumed tomorrow so I'd do the same tomorrow evening.

Right after I put the Clorox in tonight, I would add stabilizer (CYA) into the skimmer. It usually comes 3 or 4 lbs to the container...12 lbs will get you up to about 35-40ppm....a good starting point.

On the third day, the stabilizer will usually start to have some affect and some of your Cl will still be present in the evening. Then you need a test kit. The inexpensive OTO kits will measure just Cl and pH and you will be okay for a while with that.

I strongly urge you to order Ben's kit. You will end up with a lot of guess work and frequent testing trips to an unreliable pool store without it.

Post back with questions.

Thanks for the quick reply..

The water is actually very clear. I did order Ben's kit last week. From what I've been reading it may take some time to get.

The PB had actually left a box of Cal Hypo. I added that last night to bring up the chlorine level to shock level. But, I don't think that adds CYA. Should I still go ahead and add the stabalizer (12 lbs)? I did not want to add both at the same time.

Using a test strip this morning, my FC is about 10+.

duraleigh Guest

Yes. get your stabilzer in.

You probably have no Cl left (from the Sun today) so plan on putting in enough tonight or tomorrow night to get back up to about 3-5ppm.

Add that each evening for the next few days. Your stabilizer should be effective by then and you will be able to keep Cl in the pool all day....about 3-5ppm.

The kit will bring lots of answers for you and some more questions, too.

Luvtlee is offline ** No working email address ** Luvtlee 0

Quote Originally Posted by under_h2o
    Pool Newbie here...

Please forgive my ignorance, but why would the SWG not be turned on until 30 days after start up?

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

Several reasons.

1.The pool is still curing after installation, and adding salt does not help IMHO.

2. Using well water can be a problem, especially with a SWCG. If there is any "bad egg smell", i.e. hydrogen sulfide, it will destroy the cell. Using well water means using a filter to remove iron amd other metals as well as hydrogen sulfide. Been there done that. Using unfiltered well water is the worst thing you can do to new pool being cured and to a SWCG.

Pat
    20,000 Gallon IG Diamond Brite pool, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, Hayward Microclear DE3600 filter, Favco solar panels, Poolpilot DIG-220 with SC-48 cell.

+ SWCG OPERATION thread here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1226
    + SWCG Running Costs post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=316
    + Effective Stabilizer addition post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=6645

+ Reply to Thread