+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why Salt?

Question Why Salt?

I've had my pool for about 5 years now and this is the first time I've heard anybody mentioning putting salt in the pool. Why would this be a good thing and what level should it be at. I bought the new test kit with the salt test and it only took two drops to stay orange. Is that a bad thing?

I just realized (the day after posting) that this should have been in another section. Sorry . . . new to forums/chat sites.
    Last edited by poolmom2; 06-22-2006 at 09:42 AM.

Default Re: Why Salt?

From what I've heard:

Pros - Salt is not as harsh as chlorine, easier on clothes, skin, eyes, etc. Easier to maintain and keep your pool water clear.

Cons - Evidence of rust and corrosion after several years, plus higher cost of equipment installation.

Yes I am a newbie but if I'm wrong then the pool builders I've talked to have done a poor job educating me. I blame it on them!

Jeff, salt is not doing the job of chlorine. I've added salt to my non- SWG pool to make the water "feel" better. Has nothing to do with maintaining clarity of pool water.

Your builders were probably refering to usine a SWG. You add salt to your water with these systems as they convert the salt to chlorine while your pump is running. This may be what they meant by easier to maintain; No need to add chlorine to your pool manually because the SWG does it automatically for you.

As for the cons, I agree with the higher initial equipment cost and whether it ends up being cheaper depends on the life you are able to get from your chlorine generating cell. As for the rust/corrosion, I haven't ready any instances of this with a properly maintained system and salt levels.

Poolmom, people add salt to their water to get the salinity to more closely match the body. Makes the water feel better, but this is subjective. It's certainly not a necessary addition to maintain a crystal clear pool.

Talking Re: Why Salt?

Thanks for the info. From what you both said I'm assuming you don't just go out and throw some salt into the pool, you have to have special equipment and special salt?

I poured the salt into my skimmer. Takes about 5-10 minutes for a 40# bag. I used the purest salt I could find. Look for water softener salt without additives.

I don't have any special equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffski
    From what I've heard:

Pros - Salt is not as harsh as chlorine, easier on clothes, skin, eyes, etc. Easier to maintain and keep your pool water clear.

Cons - Evidence of rust and corrosion after several years, plus higher cost of equipment installation.

Yes I am a newbie but if I'm wrong then the pool builders I've talked to have done a poor job educating me.
    I think your pool builders have either done a poor job of educating you or they are not educated themselves.

Salt = Sodium Chloride ( Chlorine! )
    The Salt water generator separates the two molocules and you get the same chlorine as you do with pucks and bleach. In time, the Chlorine recombines with the sodium ready for the SWG (Salt Water (chlorine) Generator) to split again.

Pros:

Water "feels" better because it's closer to your natural body chemsitry.

You rarely (if ever) need to add additional Chlorine. (tabs, bleach, shock, etc)

You rarely (if ever) need to "shock" because there is a high chlorine level in the cell which effectively "shocks" that water continuously.

Cons:

Cost. SWGs are expensive.

Ph: SWGs raise Ph. You'll probably need to add acid to keep the Ph ok. (but you won't be adding chlorine!) You will probably need to add stuff to maintain your PH anyway. (so not really a Con)

I have not read of *any* credible salt based corrosion with a properly set up pool. The salt level is very low (~3000ppm).

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Rangeball
    I poured the salt into my skimmer. Takes about 5-10 minutes for a 40# bag. I used the purest salt I could find. Look for water softener salt without additives.

I don't have any special equipment.
    What kind of ppm do you go by on adding salt to a pool?
    How would go agout using the bleach calculator for this?

I have about 27,500 gallons.
    Sand filter, 20-40 vinyl liner

Quote Originally Posted by rmeden
    I think your pool builders have either done a poor job of educating you or they are not educated themselves.

Salt = Sodium Chloride ( Chlorine! )
    The Salt water generator separates the two molocules and you get the same chlorine as you do with pucks and bleach. In time, the Chlorine recombines with the sodium ready for the SWG (Salt Water (chlorine) Generator) to split again.

Pros:

Water "feels" better because it's closer to your natural body chemsitry.

You rarely (if ever) need to add additional Chlorine. (tabs, bleach, shock, etc)

You rarely (if ever) need to "shock" because there is a high chlorine level in the cell which effectively "shocks" that water continuously.

Cons:

Cost. SWGs are expensive.

Ph: SWGs raise Ph. You'll probably need to add acid to keep the Ph ok. (but you won't be adding chlorine!) You will probably need to add stuff to maintain your PH anyway. (so not really a Con)

I have not read of *any* credible salt based corrosion with a properly set up pool. The salt level is very low (~3000ppm).

Robert
    As to the installation cost of the SWG. I paid for a brand new Aquarite on Ebay for $450.00. Since we were building a new pool it fit right into the existing plumbing path. Mounting the control box was a simple procedure.

I don't have to do any chemical maint. other than add acid about once a week to keep PH in check. A small price to pay for the convenience.

33' Artesian Echo Canyon Ultra II round with 54" wall 26000 gallon capacity -- 1.5 HP 2 Speed Pump / Pentair 26" Sand Filter with Zeolite filter media
    Aquarite Salt Water Generator -- Complete aluminum deck with fence kit
    Aqualuminator with Fountain -- Solar Pool Lights
    Pool Pictures at the link below
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548241672nKeuyR

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack
    What kind of ppm do you go by on adding salt to a pool?
    I started with about 900 ppm and added another bag to get me to 1130 ppm, where I am now. Water feels noticeably better, there is no salt taste, so I've stopped here. I have a 21,200 gal IG pool.

How would go agout using the bleach calculator for this?

I have about 27,500 gallons.
    At the top left of the program there is a "more calcs" link. Click it, then scroll down to the "salt calcs" link. From there it's very user friendly. Put in how many gallons your pool is, the desired ppm of salt and it will tell you how much to add.

Thanks for the info Rangeball!

cj
    Sand filter, 20-40 vinyl liner

+ Reply to Thread