+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new liner being installed..filling with well water

tazt60968 is offline ** No working email address ** tazt60968 0

Question new liner being installed..filling with well water

We are in the process of putting our new liner in after getting excellent advice from dennis and others on this site for installation instructions and I am pleased as punch to say although there is wrinkles in the deep end the shallow end and sides are going great..no wrinkles at all..
    My question after reading (and before wasting any money) is how do I go about figuring what needs to be added and when. My well water must be pretty good, we started adding water on Saturday and it didn't change colors on us, like I read about on another thread, although when we were working on it last night, noticed the bottom was starting to feel slimy. Thanks for all your help

ScottS is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst ScottS 0

Default Re: new liner being installed..filling with well water

the water will become slimy very quickly. If you aren't filled completely it would be best to use some bleach and stir it around. When filling my pool I let the water run over a couple of trichlor pucks to get some CL into the water.

When you get it completely filled and the filter is running it will be easier since the water will be circulated.

For now what you should do is test the water for at least CL and pH. Add bleach to keep about a 1-2ppm residual and borax possibly if your pH is too low since a low pH can damage the liner.

Have fun and good luck!!

karrde97 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst karrde97 0

Thumbs up Re: new liner being installed..filling with well water

I filled our pool this summer from a deep well. It was solid brown by the time it got to the skimmer. When we put up the pool 2 years ago at the old house, I paniced and rigged up the vacuum hose in a bucket with rocks(weight) and chlorine sticks and cargo straps. We moved and this time I just waited until it reached the skimmer. Turned on the pump and just kept backflushing to get the gunk out. Within 3 days the water was clear. I didn't use bleach yet as I was still researching it and I had Chlorine sticks left over from last year. I don't panic anymore....I just Log-On to this site.
    21' AG 48" AquaLeader
    Central Illinois

Iron!
    No one's mentioned iron, or other metals. I'm on a well and learned the slow hard way chlorine will react with iron and turn your water a nasty brown-green. I believe sunlight plays an important role in this wondrous process as well. Before I understood what was happening, I'd dose with Cl, stick the garden hose in before bed and let it run thru the night (vacation home pool with small leaks in the liner so needed topping off). Next day I'd pull the solar cover off and could actually watch it go from clear to opaque before my eyes. Pretty depressing when you only have the weekend to enjoy it.

IMO, before you start dosing with Cl, check your iron content and deal with it, or wind up with red-brown eyeballs like I did. My DE filter would filter it out; 22K gal filtered 24/7 would clear it in two days. Now I rarely have to add water, but if I do the hose goes into the skimmer so the water's filtered first.

C.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

IF there is iron in the water then you need to add a sequsterant.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread