+ Reply to Thread

Thread: first PS234 test

Cool first PS234 test

here are my first test results with the PS234 kit.

fc-2
    cc-1
    tc-3
    ph-7.3
    alk-50
    cal-20
    cya-0

My question is, If I have trychlor tabs in the automatic chlorinator shouldn't this give my pool cya? If not, do you buy stabilizer by itself from a pool store. I put one trichlor tab in the pool a week ago. A second I put in Yesturday but I still have no cya reading.

33' ag pool
    26" sand filter
    1/2 hp pump run about 8-10 hrs a day

Thanks for any help. Sharon

prh129 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver prh129 0

Default Re: first PS234 test

Hi Sharon,

Welcome to the forum. Tri-chlor tabs will add CYA but will do it slowly so it would probably be a good idea to pick up some stabilizer (ingredients = cyanuric or isocyanuric acid) from either a pool store or a hardware store or WalMart. You can either pour it in the skimmer or put it in an old sock, tie a knot and hang it in the pool. Wait at least 5 days to retest for CYA. Also, the tri-chlor will lower the pH so make sure you keep an eye on that.

Since you have a CC of 1, it would be a good idea to shock the pool by bringing the FC up to 10 ppm. That should bring the CC down. I would do this before adding the CYA.

After the chlorine is set, I would suggest adding some baking soda to bring your alk up to at least 80. For a 33' round pool it looks like that is about 25K gallons so to raise the alk by 30 ppm you would need about 10 lbs. For starters, you can put in a 4 lb box and see how much the alk moves.

Peter

Newto pools,

When did you order your test kit? I ordered mine a week ago and wondering when I will get mine. I ordered the "preorder" what ever that means.

I put in my order for the kit on 5/19. My payment cleared on 6/9 and I recieved the kit Yesturday 6/20.
    I have shock treatment and superchlorinator in a bag. It is granules. The directions say to add one bag per 10,000 gal. of water to provide 5 to10 ppm available chlorine. So if my pool holds 25,700 gal. of water I should put 2 1/2 bags. Is this right? Will this add any stabilizer to the pool? The ingredients say calcium hypochlorite................68%
    Other Ingredients...................32%
    Would I put this in a sock in the skimmer?
    Thanks so much for the help. I don't know what in the world I'd do if I didn't have this forum for help. THANK YOU! Sharon

duraleigh Guest

Hi, Sharon,

The Cal-Hypo will not add stabilizer...it does add a little calcium which is fine for your pool.

I put mine directly into the skimmer....pump running. Very dissolvable.

If you put it in in the daytime, it will be quickly consumed by the Sun....very ineffective.

Put it in the skimmer at dusk. Do not be surprised if it is completely gone next AM. In fact, you should test for FC tomorrow AM and be prepared to repeat the Cal Hypo next evening.

5-10ppm is too innaccurate for your dosage. You must get to 10ppm to reach breakpoint (shock) level. My chart say 3.25 lbs of Cal Hypo will get your 25k pool to 10ppm.
    Last edited by duraleigh; 06-21-2006 at 03:25 PM.

Ok. I believe I should shock tonight. test tomorrow. Add baking soda tomorrow to increase my alk. and Add stabalizer tomorrow. I'm a little confused because my pool looks good. I thought you only shocked if the pool was cloudy and didn't look good! Thanks again, Sharon

duraleigh Guest

Sharon,

Peter suggested shocking (and I concur) because of your test results. The CC=1 is a good indicator you've got organics in the pool....even tho you can't see them.

Shocking now will burn out the CC's (which you don't want) and help you ward off any developing problems.

I shocked the pool and the next morning I had a
    10-fc and by today I have
    1/2 fc and 0-cc.
    ph-7.3
    alk-60

I did get some cya today but now my ? is how much do I put in a sock in the skimmer? I assume the cya is not stronge like the trichlor pucks that I had confused with cya. My pool holds 25,700 gal. I have 0 cya. I do have 2 trichlor taps in tha automatic dispenser on the pump. I have waited till tonight to add my bleach to bring up the FC. Also I am slowly adding baking sond to bring up the alkalinity. Thanks for any help. Sharon

duraleigh Guest

HI,Sharon,

Sounds like you're on the right track. How does your water look?

I would put the stabilizer directly into the skimmer....pump running. You'll need about 7 lbs to get into the 30-40 range. Takes a few days to dissolve while it's in your filter....don't backwash it out.

Download "bleachcalc" from any post by mwsmith2. It'll help you all Summer for all your calculations.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

OK, NTP, I'm going to take a different approach:

If you haven't put the CYA in your pool yet, don't. I would, instead, add more pucks to your automatic chlorinator and adjust the flow so your FC is where you want it.

CYA prevents chlorine breakdown, but if you have a constant flow of chlorine (and the auto-chlorinator give you that) it will constantly replenish what has broken down, and your CYA will slowly rise over time.

You see, if you don't have CYA, your chlorine can break down in as little as 15 minutes in direct sun--so you need more chlorine. But your auto-chlorinator is GIVING you that by constantly adding chlorine.

So if you use the pucks and keep the FC level fairly high, you'll eventually get your CYA where you need it, but you won't need to add CYA separately and your water will stay clean. Plus you'll actually get to USE your automatic chlorinator longer and justify the extra cost.

But pucks tend to push pH down so you need to watch THAT and be ready with Borax or Washing Soda.

Actually, Arm&Hammer Washing Soda is PERFECT for you right now since it increases both pH and Alk. It's Sodium Carbonate--same as pH Up and other expensive pool products, but is dirt cheap at the grocery store--usually right next to 20 Mule Team Borax. It's not Baking Soda--that's Sodium BI-Carbonate--very different stuff.

Or you can use both Borax and Baking soda. Your choice.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread