Closed Thread

Thread: Air in Return lines

Default Air in Return lines

Hey all, I have a problem with air in two of my three return lines. Before startup I relocated the filter and equipment about 30 feet further than where it originally was. I did this to improve the appearance near the pool and also get it closer to the house where my solar panels are mounted on a second story roof. Anyway, I rearranged a Tee fitting that feeds the returns and now I can hear the water flowing in this Tee. It used to be plumbed so that the "straight run" was to the two furthest returns. I replumbed it so that the straight run goes to the closest return and the T portion goes to the two furthest returns (the ones that have air bubbles now). Sorry for the long post, but does anyone (besides me) think this is the problem? TIA for the help!

Default Re: Air in Return lines

Does the piping go up, and then back down again? If so, you will need to put a tee and valve on there to get the air out, or else replumb it in such a way the pipes can fill without trapping air in them. That is the way I see it, maybe there is some other way though. Could you post a pic, it could help alot.

Default Re: Air in Return lines

I'm not a plumber - so take this strictly as a guess...

The water flow in your pipes should be sufficiently strong to move any air that collects in the pipes out of the system with no problem.

I suspect that you are pulling some air into the system somewhere. Most likely this is happening on the suction side of your pump.

I would suspect a connection made somewhere in the plumbing coming from your skimmers or main drain.

However you say it's only in 2 of your 3 returns. Are you sure there are no bubble at all in the 3rd return?

I just can't imagine that the pressure and speed of the water won't clear any standing air in the pipe. I truly suspect you have a fitting that isn't sealing well somewhere on the suction side.

Question Re: Air in Return lines

I just started having the same problem and am quite perlexed by it. I am thinking that it might be the gasket in the pump. Is this a possibility??

Closed Thread