+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Financing your swimming pool

Default Re: Financing your swimming pool

Thanks PhantomAndy...

*sigh*.. recalling the days when I had a 4.25% heloc.. those were the days......

Sardian is offline ** No working email address ** Sardian 0

My line of thought is that if you can't pay cash for a pool then you shouldn't buy one. But that is just me. Even with a good rate and financed for only 5 years, you will be paying the bank at least $5,000 in interest on a $25,000 loan.

I would suggest cutting back on other things and save up for a couple of years and pay cash. You'll be surprised at how hard it is to let go of the money when you have it in cash.....I saved up $30,000 for a car once and decided I didn't really want the car that bad once I had the cash in hand.

Just my thoughts,

Russell

GTakacs is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst GTakacs 0

Quote Originally Posted by Sardian
    My line of thought is that if you can't pay cash for a pool then you shouldn't buy one.
    Well that is one way of living. Let's see how my reasoning goes:

Let's assume the following:
    - I will live in my hosue for 15 years
    - I can buy a pool in 2006 for $40k
    - I can get financing at 7.5% for 15 years as of today
    - I can earn 4% interest on my money if I save it.
    - Inflation will be 2% annually on pools in the next 15 years

OK, now let's look at the financing figures.
    If I borrow $40k for 15 years at 7.5% today my pool will cost me $370/month for 15 years. Since I had the pool for the entire 15 years my actual cost of the pool was $370/month (only the monthly instalment payment).

If I have no money in the bank right now (I am broke) and I would not want to finance it, I'd have to start saving up for it. I'd save $370/month just as if I were to make the payment on the financing. After 108 months I would have $48,004 in the bank if I saved at 4% interest compounded monthly. By then the $40k in today's money pool would cost $47,881 given the 2% inflation. So that would mean I'd have to save 108 months, 9 years precisely before I could enjoy my pool.

After 9 years, I'd still save the $370/month for the last 6 years at 4% interest while enjoying my pool. I would have $30k in the bank after 6 years. So the pool would cost me $508/month, (($370*180 months)-$30,000 saving)/72 months. So the true cost of the pool just went up from $370 to $508 per month not to mention the actual lack of a pool for the first 9 years while living in my house.

I hope the above math makes sense and proves just how much value there is in "renting" a pool.

Note that the numbers were calculated based on the above assumptions.

Edit: I forgot to add that I did not take that into account the fact that you can also deduct the interest from your AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) for tax credit on a home improvement/equity loan which makes borrowing even more beneficial. On the above $40k loan at the 20% bracket that would be an additional tax saving of $5320 over the 15 year term (more in the early years, less in the later).
    Last edited by GTakacs; 06-23-2006 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardian
    Even with a good rate and financed for only 5 years, you will be paying the bank at least $5,000 in interest on a $25,000 loan.
    Actually at 6% for 5 years on $25k you'd pay just under $4k in interest.

Or you lose your job, can't pay the loan, and lose your house too.

I am not against borrowing money, but when you do make sure you can pay all your bills even on your worst day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffski
    Or you lose your job, can't pay the loan, and lose your house too.

I am not against borrowing money, but when you do make sure you can pay all your bills even on your worst day.
    Sure, I guess. But to be honest I doubt that a bank on a 3rd mortgage would rather foreclose your house than give you a bit of time off to regroup and find another job. By the time they sell your house and pay off your first and second mortgage, little if anything is left for the 3rd mortgagor.

Unhappy Re: Financing your swimming pool

I just would be sooooo nervous to finance 125% of my home's value. Just me maybe.
    Boby

Quote Originally Posted by bobyoe
    I just would be sooooo nervous to finance 125% of my home's value. Just me maybe.
    Boby
    Why? It actually gives you a better chance of holding onto the house if you can't make the payments. The bank that financed the 3rd lien that is 25% over the value would get nothing if they foreclosed, so they'd be more inclined to let you miss a few payments and make it up later than sell off your house.

I'm not condoning maxing out credit cards or foreclosing on houses, but I think borrowing more on a house than it's worth is just fine. What is the worst that can happen?

Thumbs up Re: Financing your swimming pool

Owner of a Mortgage Company and new IG pool owner here. On the topic of getting rid of PMI you must have a 24 month history of PMI with your current mortgage company to request dropping PMI, otherwise you will need to refinance if you what out of PMI with < 24 months history. Best thing to do is to contact your current mortgage company and ask them their requirements to eliminate PMI.
    Financing a pool. I typically take my clients to banks that have what's called a second mortgage pool loan. They take the improved value with the pool and loan off this, this would be a good option for folks with little value into their home. Check with your local credit unions or banks to see if they have this option.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by towney; 06-24-2006 at 06:01 PM.

<<I typically take my clients to banks that have what's called a second mortgage pool loan. They take the improved value with the pool and loan off this, this would be a good option for folks with little value into ther home. Check with your local credit unions or banks to see if they have this option.
    Hope this helps.>>

yes, we did this with a company here in S. Florida, very simple, worked out great.

+ Reply to Thread