Closed Thread

Thread: New Pool start-up & 3M Colorquartz

Hybrid View

Default New Pool start-up & 3M Colorquartz

I'm hoping you guys can help out. I've looked but can't seem to find anything specific. Tomorrow after many years (actually 2), the finishers are coming out and laying down a plaster with 3M Colorquartz premium level Caribbean Blue Blend finish and we will be filling.

We are owner/builders so start-up falls on us. Can someone give us a link to start-up literature or explain the procedure? I called 3M and they haven't responded back (they referred me to a field rep who was on an answering machine and since I'm not a builder I don't expect a call back).

Pool specs:
    16x32 pool
    8x8 spa (with shared equipment)
    DE Filter (when do we fill with de?)
    Max-E-Therm Heater
    Salt Water Chlorine Generator
    Heliocol Solar

Any help would be appreciated, thanks,
    Jo

Default Re: New Pool start-up & 3M Colorquartz

Just google "Pool Plaster Startup" and you will find a lot of information. You should also follow the procedure that the plaster company recomends because they will be the ones warranting the plaster.

Thanks, I did google, hence how I found you guys. I'm seeing mostly start-up relating to after winter closures and then disparate information so I sort of sought a consensus and numbers. I don't see anything specfic regarding colorquartz.

As for the plaster co and information, I asked and they said to hire a pool guy and refused to be more specific!
    thanks,
    Jo

Take a look at this web site. They have info on new plaster start up.

Hi;
    I'd like to look but I need the url of the site?
    Thanks,
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by bradjo
    DE Filter (when do we fill with de?)
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks,
    Jo
    I did an owner built pool so I learned as I went along. My pool is finished with a Diamond Brite type finish called Millenium. When the plaster finished and the pool was filled (I had a tanker fill pool in less than an hour), the plasterer guy added about 8 gallons of muratic acid. He told me to brush plaster two or three times a day and add 2 more gallons of acid on day 2 (to keep PH around 6.8). After the third or fourth day of brushing, the amount of plaster dust brushed up with each sweep started to diminish. By day 5 the water was looking pretty clear. The pump was running 24hrs a day during all this. On day 6 I added the stabilizer (CYA) and bleach. The PH was steadily climbing and was around 7.6 by then. I was swimming on day 7. I also added a litttle more acid to keep PH down to 7.4 - 7.6.

P.S. It is important that you put the DE powder in soon after running the pump. My DE filter instruction say that over 15 minutes of running without DE can damage filter. If you run without it you may tear the membrane. As you brush and filter the water the filter pressure will rise with the build up of plaster dust. Be prepared to backflush (or disassemble and clean) at least once before the week is out.
    Good luck

Thanks mshumack! As I understand it the entire point of the higher acid is to remove the white plaster layer obscuring the quartz aggregate.

I've been cleaning around out there while the pool finished it's fill (it's now completely done) and took my first pool water test.

pH 7.8
    ALK 100
    CA 200

I brushed the plaster once (boy is that a job!) and then slowly added 1 Gal of Muriatic acid around the pool with a glug to the spa. Of course I then realized I should have added the acid then brushed but I'll get better!

Anyway as I was looking at the plaster I realized that my plaster shows a goodly amount of aggregate and the color is right (for me and hubby) so I think I've decided to forego dumping the pH waaaaaaaaaaaay down to 6. I just can't see taking 2 years off the plaster's life when we are both happy with the pool's looks and there's no really obvious streaking!

I'm going to wait a couple hours then test the pH again and see how much movement 1 gal of muriatic gave my 25,000+ gal pool. Then based on that and the alkalinity change I'll decide how much more to add.

I'll put the DE in the filter and start it later tonight or tomorrow sometime I think and then add chlorine in a few days.

I'm in the Mojave desert and we are currently 100+ by 8am and over 110 for high noon on so I'm worried about that! I also have to install a heater bypass before I run the pump if I get down a little below 7 I want to bypass my heater. I'm wondering if I need to start running my solar at night to reduce the water temp. It filled at 82 to 84 degrees and I'm worried that it could get way to warm from just the sun. I wonder what to warm is before the plaster begins to delaminate? Anyone have a number?

Thanks so much for the answer and I'll update as conditions change! LOL
    Jo
    Last edited by bradjo; 06-22-2006 at 01:44 PM.

Closed Thread