+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 16' metal frame...ground level, now what?

Default 16' metal frame...ground level, now what?

Hi,

I now have a big 18' round hole (the pool is 16'). Husband wanted room to work. Sod was removed with sod cutter, ground is pretty level after having to dig 1/2 of hole 4" down to level. This is after getting about 3" rain over the weekend. My husband is using 2x4 with bubble level.

My husband is insisting on using sand, I've explained to him that it is not the same as a pool w/steel walls and liner in between. Obviously with this pool, the liner is the wall.

He is spraying it today with the weed/grass killer.

What do I need to do now? He is not keen on laying down 16 pavers for the posts.

Could we put the sand all around up to the edges and sit the posts on the ground w/couple layers of plastic and the tarp???

Thanks for any suggestions,
    Teena

SBaker is offline ** No working email address ** SBaker 0

Default Re: 16' metal frame...ground level, now what?

I installed an 18' metal frame pool about a month ago. Since the plastic base for the legs were only about 3.5" in diameter, I used the 12"x12" patio blocks for the legs to sit on to ensure I had a good solid base. I then use slightly less than a cubic yard of masonry sand directly on top of the level ground. I put the tarp on top of the sand and then set up the pool. The sand helps to achieve a nice smooth and even bottom.

Since the directions did not mention it (unless I overlooked it), I would suggest tightening the rope around the lower part of the legs as the pool is filled. Once it has too much water in it, it will be very difficult to tighten the rope.

Good luck with the rest of the installation. Leveling the ground is by far the most difficult and time consuming part.

Thank you.

I understand the pavers are for stability, but are they a must??? The instructions do not call for them.

I'm sick of this thing and just want to finish, as it's supposed to rain all weekend again.

SBaker is offline ** No working email address ** SBaker 0

I would not say they are a must. Based on the recommendations from others on this board as well as how small the plastic caps for the legs are, I just felt more comfortable using the blocks for added stability.

+ Reply to Thread