FC-4
    CC-0
    TC-4
    pH-7.3
    Alk-110
    Cal-30
    CYA-30
    Temp- 84

I have a question about one test- alkalinity. When I'm adding ALK#3, my sample never gets really "red". It's more of a pink, starting with light and then going to a hot. When am I supposed to stop and record, when it's the light pink or the hot? Other than that, I just LOVE this kit!! Thank you Ben! Oh yeah, how do my numbers look?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: First test and a Question

You stop adding drops when one more drop doesn't make a color change--and then you don't count that last drop. Glad you're enjoying your kit, it's awesome!

Your numbers look great--happy swimming!

Janet

I use the Hot Pink color. Even with the just pink color you should be fine. There is no need to worry about TA unless your PH starts bouncing around and with your reading you should be in great shape.

Remember, don't micro manage your pool. Each pool water is different.

Here is a perfect example: My pool water's CA is in the upper acceptable range (for people who have to worry about CA). Yet, when I shock with powdered shock (Cal Hypo), my pool will get cloudy. When I shock with bleach, it doesn't happen.

What kind of pool do you have? This dictates ranges like Calcium.

Thanks for your replies. I have a vinyl pool, 25000 gals. And thanks for the tip about not micro managing, something I have a tendancy to do. I have been reading postings about high cya levels, and am using trichlor smart sticks now. Would it be possible for me to shock with bleach when and if I need to so the cya levels would't go up? I don't know if bleach is compatible with trichlor- I know they're both chlorine, but can they exist together?

I am not familiar with the sticks, so I looked up Smart Sticks. They go in the skimmer basket.

You can shock with bleach by adding directly into your pool. You can do it in front of the return or walk around the edge of the pool. Another thing you can do is remove the skimmer basket with the sticks inside it. Add your bleach to the skimmer. Then place the skimmer basket with the smart sticks back in place.

DANGER - NEVER ADD BLEACH TO SKIMMER WHILE SMART STICKS ARE IN THE SKIMMER BASKET.

Good Luck!

+ Reply to Thread