+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2" styrofoam below sand?

Default 2" styrofoam below sand?

Another question.........sorrrrrrrry

I know we are supposed to remove all rocks/stones but that is 95% of our soil I think. There are literally thousands of rocks/stones. So I was wondering if we could use 2" styrofoam between the earth and sand? Would this work? I hadn't planned on buying "Happy Bottom" or anything like that to go over the sand though. What about wall foam? Does everyone use wall foam? I think I am going to buy the cove instead of building it out of sand just to save my hubby some extra work. Thoughts? Thanks so much and sorry for all of the questions!

Dena

Default Re: 2" styrofoam below sand?

Hi Dena, The easiest way? A couple of layers of black plastic and lots of sand.

Everything else gets more complicated. 2" styrafoam is nice but do not put sand over it. There are many reasons but it is just not a good idea. When the walls are up and the base as smooth as possible lots of time and duct tape can be used to install the foam. A lot more time and duct tape to install the pool cove. At this point the cove is optional since you already have the bottom rails and any sharp edges well covered.

The foam does provide a very nice base for the liner. Nice and easy on the feet.

Later, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

Everything else gets more complicated. 2" styrafoam is nice but do not put sand over it. There are many reasons but it is just not a good idea. When the walls are up and the base as smooth as possible lots of time and duct tape can be used to install the foam. A lot more time and duct tape to install the pool cove. At this point the cove is optional since you already have the bottom rails and any sharp edges well covered.

The foam does provide a very nice base for the liner. Nice and easy on the feet.
    I'm confused. How is the cove optional? You mean I don't have to use pre-fab cove OR sand? And when you say the foam does provide a very nice base for the liner, do you mean styrofoam? Instead of sand (since I can't put it over the sand?). I'm sorry, I'm just not understanding what you're saying. If I'm trying to pinch pennies where I can, what do you recommend for the following:

base under lining (remember my rocky soil)
    wall foam (I mean lining the sides of the pool) or not?
    pre-fab cove or sand cove or any cove?

Thanks AGAIN!!! You don't know how much I appreciate this!

Hi Dena, Let me try again.

On my last pool I used 1 1/2" styrafoam on the bottom. I used a lot of the smaller bits and pieces and filled in around the outer edges real good and then duck taped over that. I did not use a pool cove. All of the metal parts were well coverd and my tape job gave it a very small wedge shape. It worked out great.

If you use sand intead of styrafoam you would definately give it a nice big sand cove and foot pack it down good. In my experience with preformed pool cove it is perfect for pools installed on concrete or similar hard surface. I don't like installing them with a dirt base.

You would have to do some comparison shopping. The price of styrafoam or sand and plastic.

The wall foam is another expense but I have been told it is good insulation. If you are planning to heat the pool you may consider it.

Hope this helps a little more, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

I cant think of the name of the product that was used on mine. It was a foam bead mixed with cement that the installer put down, brushed out flat, formed a cove, wetted, and put the liner in. The product hardned and made a nice bottom that felt like foam but was formable. It has a nice spring to it and you dont leave foot prints. He said that small rocks were not a problem like sand. I cant rember if he said anything about grass. I am on a red clay hill and he had to scrape 20 inches on one side so grass was not a issue. I didnt get wall foam.
    If you want I will call the pool store and get the product name.
    Steve

Aranon is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Aranon 0

I used the foam wall and really like it. I have a 54" pool and used the foam cove over 2" Styrofoam. It came about 4" short of reaching the top and man is there a difference between touching the liner where here is no foam and where there is foam. I could not have believed that 1/4" of foam would make that much difference. The wall is so soft where the foam is. We love it. I am glad I used it. I bought it for insulation purposes but would suggest it for comfort. You would think it was 1/2 thick when you touch the side of your pool with it in. The part that does not have foam is hard and feels just like it its. Steel with a piece of vinyl stuck to it. I would get it. It comes in 1/8" and 1/4" we got the 1/4".
    Aranon

I am on a red clay hill and he had to scrape 20 inches on one side so grass was not a issue. I didnt get wall foam.
    If you want I will call the pool store and get the product name.
    Steve
    That would be great Steve, thanks!! Our soil is clay, too but filled with rocks also. We had to dig down 40"!!! So I think I'm grass-free too. LOL!

The wall is so soft where the foam is. We love it. I am glad I used it. I bought it for insulation purposes but would suggest it for comfort.
    Ahhh, crap, Aranon! You just cost me another $60! LOL! At least it's not tooooooo expensive!

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

I believe the cove is there to prevent the liner from trying to push under the pool walls.

denanbob
    I will call tommorrow or if you like the number is
    (865) 694-4126
    Their web site is
    http://www.poolplaceonline.com/

I didnt see the name of the product but it may be something to look at.
    Later
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread