+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can you taste and feel SWG treated water?

Default Can you taste and feel SWG treated water?

I'm trying to decide on either a liquid bleach feeder or a SWG. I talked to the family about a salt pool and they all nixed it if it's anything like softened water. I also read a post here that said you can actually taste the salt. Is that true? How much different is the water from a non-SWG pool?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Can you taste and feel SWG treated water?

It feels so much better, you don't have that sticky chlorine feeling when you dry off. I really can't taste the salt but then again I live one half block from the atlantic ocean and swim in that all the time so maybe I am used to really salty water. A pool with a SWG is only about 1/10 as salty as seawater.

Also, since the water is constanly being 'supershocked' in the cell to very high chlorine levels there is a good chance that you will never have to maunally shock the pool....ever! Chlorine drip can't do that! Only real drawback it the constant upward drift of pH...but a little acid fixes that easily. You just have to add it on a regular basis to take care of it. The top of the line PoolPilot even includes an acid feeder and automation to keep the chlorine and pH where they should be without intervention! (except for adding salt to the pool and acid to the feed tank when needed). Very similar to automation that can be put on aquariums....pH and ORP electrodes!
    Last edited by waterbear; 06-19-2006 at 10:36 PM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

joelq is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst joelq 0

Here's a thread on simulating the saltwater taste at SWG salt levels. I don't have my pool yet, so can't vouch for the accuracy.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1525

Hmmmm...

You can't quite actually taste it, but it is a lot like softened water. The son said "yuck" one daughter said "whatever dad" and the Mom, is out of town. So the final decision will have to wait.

My other option is one of these:

At $510 with the 7 gallon tank (15 gallon pictured) and the simple dial pump like this:

It's a pretty good deal.

I'm only using 3 cups a day of 6% bleach (the tech rep laughed - he recommended the 'S' for 'Spa' version so I could get the flow rate down) so a 7 gallon tank would last about a month.

I can almost justify a second one for the acid...

TW (Not affiliated with the company, just really intrigued by the product.)
    Last edited by aquarium; 06-19-2006 at 11:57 PM.

Before the big system crash on our forum server there were a number of reports on liquid chlorine feeds and just from memory everyone thought is was a great idea, but unfortunately the almost unanimous response was that they just didn't work as advertised.

I think if they did work well there would be a stampede to get them from this croud who largely favour the bleach as thier sanitizer.

gwrace1 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst gwrace1 0

Just remember that anytime you add bleach your adding a salt derivitive.

We use an SWG and are very pleased with the soft water feel. If you let the salt level get higher than 3200-3300 PPM you will begin to taste the salt. Our system has been crystal clear since startup in mid March with no chemical maintenance other than adding acid about once per week to keep PH under control. We run the pump on low speed for 12 hours each night with the SWG set at 40%. We have a 26000 gallon pool with 35PPM stabilizer. The SWG consistently maintains FC at 2.5-3.0 PPM with zero CC.

Others may differ with me on this but I'd rather use an SWG manufactuing pure chlorine than add bleach. If bleach is only 3-12% chlorine then how much other unwanted filler chemicals are you adding to your pool.

We also use a Pool Skim and Pool Rover that keep the pool very clean.

33' Artesian Echo Canyon Ultra II round with 54" wall 26000 gallon capacity -- 1.5 HP 2 Speed Pump / Pentair 26" Sand Filter with Zeolite filter media
    Aquarite Salt Water Generator -- Complete aluminum deck with fence kit
    Aqualuminator with Fountain -- Solar Pool Lights
    Pool Pictures at the link below
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548241672nKeuyR

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by brent.roberts
    Before the big system crash on our forum server there were a number of reports on liquid chlorine feeds and just from memory everyone thought is was a great idea, but unfortunately the almost unanimous response was that they just didn't work as advertised.

I think if they did work well there would be a stampede to get them from this croud who largely favour the bleach as thier sanitizer.
    I remember this as well, general consensus was that they were more trouble than dosing manually.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Quote Originally Posted by brent.roberts

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    I remember this as well, general consensus was that they were more trouble than dosing manually.
    It seems to me that 1-3ppm chlorine added per day is a target as big as the proverbial side of a barn. How could it miss? If nothing else it could be set to the low end as a sort of safety net. Really asking here, because I'd rather not be tied to the pool the manual way.

p.p.h. is offline ** No working email address ** p.p.h. 0

I have sensitive taste buds and I could taste it alot when my salt level was at 3500ppm and I hated it. Now its at 2100ppm and Its very very light and im very happy. The feel is awesome, kind of hard to describe but feels like its moisturizing water

you are asking how it could miss .... don't know. Just lots of complaints that they didn't work.

Like I said, and I'll amplify it. There are lots of lazy people on this forum that want to reduce the workload of pool maintenance. To my memory, not one response was favorable and that they worked.

The only automation that seems to work and most folks that have plunked down $ 1,000 or so are pretty univerally happy with ... is the salt water generators.

Never been there or done that yet, but when UPS shows up in the next day or so I hope to join that club.

PS I think even our forum's owner, Ben, aka Pooldoc, tried to make a liquid chlorine feeder work conceded defeat to a system that did not work.
    Last edited by brent.roberts; 06-20-2006 at 12:30 PM.

+ Reply to Thread