+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boric Acid?

Question Boric Acid?

Hi,

The previous owner left me 4 containers (5 gallons each) of Boric Acid. What would that be used for?

I took a pic of one container but it came out a bit blurry.

Thanks,

Ilan
    35,000 gallon inground vinyl pool.

See my 6 cats at catslove.com! Visit DMCTalk.com for all your DeLorean needs!

Default Re: Boric Acid?

It is often used as a pesticide.

From the EPA web site: it can be used as for algae control in swimming pools.

It will lower your pH (it is acid after all). EDIT: I am not saying that you should use it to lower your pH. I am just saying that it will do that.

It is an ingredient in some types of antibacterial ear drops and there are Boric Acid eyewashes you can get at the pharmacy. (DISCLAIMER: Do not try to make either of these yourself!)

There are many uses for Boric Acid.

Not sure what the former owners used it for. Maybe pH with that amount?

I am sure someone else can answer this better than I can. After all, I am a newbie as a pool owner.
    Last edited by Dr. Spike; 06-19-2006 at 02:14 AM.

Hmm, all I was told was it was for the pool. Makes sense that it was probably used to lower the ph but until I get a definite answer, I'll stick with Washing Soda for that.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by iardon
    Hmm, all I was told was it was for the pool. Makes sense that it was probably used to lower the ph but until I get a definite answer, I'll stick with Washing Soda for that.
    Washing soda (sodium carbonate) will NOT lower your pH...it will raise it along with your TA! The 'dry acid' used for pools is sodium bisulfate. I know of no use for boric acid in a swimming pools although it is sometimes combined with sodium tetraboarate in propriatery mxitures as a water conditioner like ProTeam Weekly Treat (which is used in conjunction with ProTeam Supreme),
    I notice from the picture that boric acid was hand written on the contaier. Are you sure it is boric acid in there?
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Are you sure it is boric acid in there?
    I'm not sure about anything. Hence thinking washing soda lowers ph.

Anyhow, I can just throw it out I guess.

I'm am using Borax to raise my ph, unsuccessfully so far. Hopefully that's the correct thing to do.

Since I already bought some washing soda (sodium carbonate), can use that with the Borax to raise my PH?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by iardon
    I'm not sure about anything. Hence thinking washing soda lowers ph.

Nope. It RAISES pH.

Anyhow, I can just throw it out I guess.

Since you have NO idea what it all is, you may want to find a hazardous waste disposal depot and bring it there. You can't just chuck dangerous chemicals in the trash, generally.

I'm am using Borax to raise my ph, unsuccessfully so far. Hopefully that's the correct thing to do.

That is correct. You aren't using enough.

Since I already bought some washing soda (sodium carbonate), can use that with the Borax to raise my PH?
    I would not mix them. But you can use them alternately to raise your pH--Borax one day, washing soda the next. WS will raise your Total Alkalinity as well. See the Alkalinity forum.
    Carl

Since you have NO idea what it all is, you may want to find a hazardous waste disposal depot and bring it there. You can't just chuck dangerous chemicals in the trash, generally.
    Sure. I'll be taking them to one of my local fire departments that take paint and stuff that the garbage people won't take.

Thanks for the info.

+ Reply to Thread