+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New forum on the way . . . Lord willin' and the creek don't rise!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default New forum on the way . . . Lord willin' and the creek don't rise!

I've started updating hardware and software and am working toward the goal of a PoolForum reboot, with a new approach.

Old.Poolforum foundered under the weight of
    + A morass of imperfect answers, ranging from less than ideal to just plain bad.
    + A bunch of calcified ideas that I'd gone along with, for example "BBB method" never really reflected my thinking, but was 'close enough'.
    + Security issues that left me spending more time on the back end (fending off hackers and spammers) then on the front end, answering questions.
    + And most of all, a lack of standard answers to standard questions . . . meaning that the same questions had to be answered over and over.

And, then there were personal issues, of various sorts.

So, what now?

I think I'll wait till the bits are ready, since there seem to be 100 people or more copying anything I've done here. But hopefully, New.PoolForum.com will be live in 3 months, by May 1.

If you see this, and want to comment, send it to PoolForum at Gmail dot com. I've begun checking mail there again.

pratzert is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst pratzert 0

Default Re: New forum on the way . . . Lord willin' and the creek don't rise!

Looking forward to the new forum Ben. Thank You.

This forum is and has been the definitive pool chemistry reference site. Thanks Ben, hope it works out.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Can't wait! Thanks Ben!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Perfect Idea! Thanks for doing this. I find it I spend a lot of time looking for answers. So looking forward to a revision of this forum!
    2006 26k, gunite, heart shaped, Variable speed 1.5 hp pump, Hayward sand filter, BBB, K-2006, occ. trichlor, poly 60

Hi Ben, On July 1, it will be 20 years since I first registered for your site - and I lurked for years before that. Over that time, I've spent many hours reading through the info and posts. I believe I've received a solid education on pool chemistry and operation. I was sad to see you go through your tough times, but was glad that you had excellent moderators to keep the site running.

So why do I now post for the first time? With so much info and history to sift through, I never felt the need to post or pose a question. The guidance I found here has enabled me to avoid any major pool issues. My pool just keeps running smoothly year after year, though I'm getting to the point that it may soon need some renovation. I just wanted to say that I hope you are able to get this site revitalized and to thank you for the help your site has given us. Let me know if we can provide any support.

I see that my first post was in July, 2006 - I don't know when I first would have found this site, but I've appreciated for at least the 17 years since then. I've been using and replenishing a PoolDoc test kit for quite some time, following your guidelines for managing pH, alkalinity, and chlorine levels. Thank you for all you do. I look forward to seeing the new site.

If you see this and have a moment, would you mind sharing an update on development?
    Pool: 25K gal - In-ground / Gunite ● Pump: American Products 384484 1.5 HP ● DE Filter: American Products Titan CM #57025000 48 ft^2
    Valve: American Products 2.0" Side Mount Multiport 501692 ● Lights: American Products Model R-300 BC ● Cleaner: Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, 2005C

+ Reply to Thread