Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pucks without CYA / Floating liquid chlorine dispenser

Default Pucks without CYA / Floating liquid chlorine dispenser

Why aren't pucks without CYA available?

I used them last year and it was so convenient to just shock occasionally with liquid chlorine. Once my CYA levals got to 50 or so I went back to liquid only, but I'm lazy and don't look forward to checking levels and adding chlorine every day (I just needed to check it weekly with the pucks).

-OR (even better)-

Why doesn't someone make some sort of floating liquid chlorine dispenser where the chlorine leaches out slowly via osmossis, dispensing slowly over time in a similar fashion to eroding pucks?

It would need to be larger than a puck floater but I'd use it!

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Biggest problem would probaly be the degradation of the strength of the chlorine by the sun and heat since it is not stabilized.

Well, from what i've been told, the CYA is what makes the puck hold together so it dissolves slowly. Without it, you'd have what happens with CalHypo....instant dissolving in one big BANG.

Michael

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by mwsmith2
    Well, from what i've been told, the CYA is what makes the puck hold together so it dissolves slowly. Without it, you'd have what happens with CalHypo....instant dissolving in one big BANG.

Michael
    That DOES make sense!

Well in the case of a floating liquid dispenser the chlorine would be fully shaded inside the container and used up within a week. I really don't think sun light degredation would be the roadblock here. As for heat it's cooler in the pool than in my storage shed. The hardware store that I buy chlorine from keeps the jugs on a pallet out in the sun - not ideal but they go through them fast enough and the chlorine I've picked up form them always works. I've kept yellow plastic 2.5 gallon jugs that I plan on using soon next to the house (week or two) in partial South Florida intense sunshine just like the pool is exposed to without appreciable degredation. Not ideal but it didn't seem to be too much of an issue.

The desolving CYA as binder I can understand, though other slow desolving binders could certainly be used I'd thnk.
    Last edited by Gutbucket; 04-04-2006 at 06:22 PM.

Hey I am with you. But since we have an indoor pool we need no stabilizer so I use liquid all the time. Not that it is a big deal, but sometimes even I forget to add some or we get a leaky swimmer and poof, no CL. With a floater it would likely be less of an issue. We do drop in a floater when we are going to be gone and know some relatives might stop over and use the pool, just to be safe, either that or get it up to 10 of free CL before we leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutbucket
    Well in the case of a floating liquid dispenser the chlorine would be fully shaded inside the container and used up within a week.
    I think the problem is how would a floater filled with liquid float?

ouch...suprised no one has mentioned the safety aspect of doing this. Imagine a jug of bleach with holes in it to drip the chlorine out. If it blows around and ends up sitting on a step, it will bleach the liner or plaster in that area. OK, so you say you can tether the jug to one side, away from the steps.
    Well, how about when the pool is used? Or little kids using the pool. You know they will play with just about anything floating in the water. They go to lift the jug out of the water and the stream of bleach drips on their hands, hair or worse, face... is this worth it?
    There's been several methods attemped at inexpensive bleach feeders. Liquidmate comes to mind. It involves a cap with multiple tubes, each representing a different flow rate ( suction rate rather) going into the pump suction. Once the gallon jug is empty, you simply replace it. Big problem is the daily monitoring of your system to ensure that your bleach jug does not run out or you will experience a suction side leak.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

Gotta agree with Poolsean.
    IMHO the best way to automatically introduce sodium hypoclorite into a pool is with a SWG!

Just to muddy the water a bit, there is also some folks who use a metering pump and inject the bleach that way. I was almost going to do that, but decided I didn't want to worry about a pressurized bleach system, and I didn't have a nice cool place to store the bleach while it was being used. SWC was the easiest and safest solution.

Michael

Closed Thread