+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My water needs help

Bosch232 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Bosch232 0

Default My water needs help

I'll keep this brief.

1. Last weekend I vacuumed the brown winter algae to waste and topped off the pool. Water clarity was decent. I could clearly see the bottom liner. Started the filter. See Photo 1.
    2. This weekend (Fri) I lowered pH to 6.8 for a treatment of Robelle Metal Out using muriatic acid.
    3. Sat morning I added 6 cups of Dichlor. By noon my readings were pH-6.8, TA-90, FC-12.5, CYA-80.
    4. Water clarity deteriorated and is now aquamarine/milky, vis = 16 inches. See Photo 2. All brown algae seems to be gone.
    5. Filter running 24/7. Visibility not improving.

Is someone tells me how to post photos, I have some to show.
    16x32 Oval AG vinyl pool; Media Master sand filter; 1.5 hp 1 speed pump; 10 hrs; Rural utility water; Taylor K-2006

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: My water needs help

1. http://pool9.net/postpix

2. Do the DE test on your filter: http://pool9.net/de-test/

3. Use borax -- NOT soda ash -- to raise your pH back to 7.2 or more.

4. Post exact quantity of Metal Out used. (Why did you use it? Brown algae is not associated with metals; "Metal Out" does NOT remove metals from your pool, except as a part of a complex process they do NOT explain!)

Thank you for the reply.
    36 oz of Metal Out. (32 oz / 10,0000= gal, I have 12,000 gal)
    The metal out is just to stop the oxidizing of the iron before adding chlorine for the fist time of the year.

Apologies for the big image sizes.

1 week ago. Nothing added, this was the winter condition. pH was 8.0+

Now, a week later with 36 oz Metal Out, muriatic acid (pH = 6.8) and dichlor.

My current test are in yellow results so far. (Ignore the 2013 entries.)

16x32 Oval AG vinyl pool; Media Master sand filter; 1.5 hp 1 speed pump; 10 hrs; Rural utility water; Taylor K-2006

I haven't seen that DE test thread.
    I'll look into that and report back.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

The fact that the water was clear, but became cloudy after vacuuming, is pretty strong evidence of under-performing filtration.

This problem is very, very, VERY common on above-ground pools, since AG pool kits almost always match an undersized filter with an oversized pump. This causes a variety of problems, but with sand filters, it usually results in the loss of sand with each backwash.

Unfortunately, since sand filters sold with AG pools are almost always top mount valve, rather than side mound valve, adding more sand is a PITA.

I vacuumed all that algae to waste, so it shouldn't have gone through the silica sand. But...

I'll look into the filter. I think I replaced it (and the sand) 3 yrs ago. Maybe 4.

I'll report back.

Monday afternoon, home from work and a curious development..

The milky cloudiness has dissipated, and viz improved from 16" to 23".
    The chlorine level REALLY dropped off since last night, from 12.5 down to 5.5 now, 22 hrs later.
    The color has changed to a typical green algae color. But the clarity is improving.

So for the moment I backwashed (it came out pretty dirty) and I'm going to bring it back up to superchlorination level (about 15) by adding just under 2 gallons of bleach. I'm discontinuing the dichlor for now bc it seems to be driving the CYA up higher than I'd like. (100 ppm).

Also aerating for a bit to bring the pH up a little. It's steady at 7.0.

More to follow.

1. If you vacuumed to waste, then the cloudiness was probably algae stirred up by the process, rather than algae blown through the filter

2. If your CYA > 70 ppm, you DEFINITELY need to stop the dichlor. In my area, at least, Walmart has restocked pool grade (10%) bleach. You could use cal hypo, but if your calcium + alkalinity levels are high, doing so might cloud your water.

3. The fact that your backwash water was dirty from algae is a fair indication that you DO have enough sand.

4. Aerating only raises pH IF the alkalinity is substantial.

Good luck.

Well tonight I did a very smart thing: I took Pool Doc's advice.

I took apart my filter and checked the sand.
    See where I'm pointing? That's all the sand left in the filter.
    This explains a lot of last year's frustrations as well.
    Honestly, it never occurred to me that I could be losing sand out of the backwash.

I do agree that the dichlor has gotten the CYA out of hand.
    First things first: Purchasing silica sand from Concrete Industries tomorrow.

Wow! Even I'm surprised that it is THAT low.

Thanks for posting that.

Keep in mind that you'll need to reduce the backwash flow, or it will happen again. The fastest short term solution is a valve on the discharge line, allowing you to throttle flow.

Long term, a smaller pump OR a smaller impeller in the existing pump -- assuming you can find the parts -- will not only save your sand, but will improve filtration. Excess flow not only causes sand loss during backwash, it also causes dirt to be driven THROUGH the sand bed, and back into the pool!

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread