+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Basin Drain on Infinity edge pool

Default Basin Drain on Infinity edge pool

I have an infinity edge pool and the water is not returning to the pool from the basin. The basin has an auto fill and is filled to the proper level. Does anyone have specifics on how to clean a basin drain ? I am thinking it is possibly clogged. Anyone know if there is a time table for cle cleaning a basin drain ?
    Thanks
    NJ Pool: In Ground, 40,000 Gal vinyl liner, chlorinated using BBB, Gas Heated, DE Grid filtration.
    FL Pool: 10K gal gunite, chlorinated with 3'' pucks, cartridge filter, spill over spa

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Basin Drain on Infinity edge pool

Either the drain or the line could be clogged.

Also, infinity edge basis are NOT plumbed in any consistent manner. This means, without seeing the inlets, returns, valves and pump(s), AND having some idea how all of that is connected, there's no particular way to answer your question.

Common problems -- not necessarily YOUR problem -- include:
    • clogged drains
    • CRACKED and damaged covers (from suction + excess debris)
    • plugged suction lines (from cracked covers)
    • clogged pump impellers (debris, again)
    • cracked / air-leaking suction lines
    • stuck / badly placed check valves
    • other valves wrongly closed / opened
    • pump not priming for whatever reason
    • electronic controls mis-configured or not operating well.
    • etc.

Just FYI, infinity edges deliver a WORLD of problems to pools. To operate well . . . over a period of years . . . they require
    • expert installation . . . OF THE SHELL AND FOUNDATION,
    • expert plumbing,
    • expert control configuration, AND
    • consistent maintenance and cleaning.

Few, if any, pool builders can deliver on all of those. I have been in close contact for several years now with a pool service guy who mostly works on pools that cost upwards of $100,000 each and are built by the "best luxury pool builder in the Southeast".

To date, he has never encountered a "luxury" pool that does NOT have SERIOUS design or installation problems.

What I've learned is that the most successful pool builders universally seem to be
    • great at sales,
    • good at aesthetic design,
    • fair at 'fit and finish', BUT
    • mediocre at operational design, AND
    • mediocre to poor at structure and plumbing!

Bottom line?

Most of the time, if you purchase a 'luxury' pool, you are buying a long-term high-maintenance and high-expense home feature that you can only escape by moving.

For what it's worth, SIZE is not a problem. It's possible to design VERY simple, VERY reliable LARGE pools. But add 'features': electronic controls, variable lighting, fountains and slides, multiple 'pools' (ie, connected spa / basin / kiddie puddle) and so on, and the reliability almost always tanks!

Thanks for the detailed response Ben, glad you are back and hope all is well. I didn't build the pool. The previous owner had made it really high tech (high headache in my book) with remote electronics to control spa, valves, water features etc. When the panel went I didn't replace it just installed a simple fireman's switch to turn pump on and off. All the valves, there are 2, I adjust manually when I need to adjust water flow. Once I have this figured out I will post results for others.
    NJ Pool: In Ground, 40,000 Gal vinyl liner, chlorinated using BBB, Gas Heated, DE Grid filtration.
    FL Pool: 10K gal gunite, chlorinated with 3'' pucks, cartridge filter, spill over spa

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

A couple of points . ..

1. I'm not 'back', back. That is, I have no plans to 'resurrect' PoolForum as an active discussion forum, though I do plan to maintain it, answer the occasional question from members, and hopefully improve it, but as a mostly static information resource.

2. There still IS a lot of traffic, but it's not from members, just from Google. So . . . posting an explanation, especially with pictures, will be a valuable resource to some, over time. Infinity edges are very common, and problems with them are almost as common.

Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread