+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newly resurfaced pool leaking

Question Newly resurfaced pool leaking

Hi...I am new to this site. I just had my pool resurfaced with Pebble Tech. I did not replace the water line tiles as they are in very good condition. During the resurfacing process the workers sanded about 1/4” of the old gunite finish off as they no longer jack hammer the entire old surface down to the studs. After that, they sprayed on a cement type product to help the final coat adhere. After that dries, they sprayed on the pebble surface and proceeded to clean it off as one would do with grouting tiles. I began filling my pool which took 20 hours. Since pool has been filled, I have had to add waiter three times as the water level is dropping to where the skimmer is sucking in too much air. Each time I add about an inch or more water. The water seems to be leaking slowly as every few days I notice the water low again. My filter is not leaking and chlorintor is also not leaking. I have called the contractor and will be coming to look at it next week but I am curious where the leak could be. I see no water around the perimeter of the pool.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Newly resurfaced pool leaking

Was it leaking before the pool was resurfaced?

If so, then your 'new' leak is just your old leak. Pool owners often think refinishing a pool will solve leak problems. Unfortunately, this is usually not the case . . . and even when it is, the leaks (which often involve cracks in the underlying shell), the leaks will often reappear, once the pool goes through seasonal temperature cycling (which causes the cracks to move, and then crack the new finish).

If not, did the leak appear -- for the very first time -- immediately after resurfacing?

In that case, there's a fair chance that the chipping and prepping process EXPOSED an underlying crack. The contractor may not have noticed this, or may have wanted to avoid complicating an otherwise straightforward job. OR he may not have had the skill or expertise to fix the problem he found. Fixing shell cracks is challenging, and subject to high failure rates. It's also expensive. If the contractor knew you were stretching your budget already, he may well have wanted to get paid, and get out, before the problems appeared.

All that said, it's fairly unlikely that refinishing caused the problems that resulted in a leak, though it may have exposed an underlying problem.

Sorry to not have more 'hopeful' advice.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

The forum is currently only minimally active. Your best bet, if you still need info is to use the Super Search page, to create special search links will allow you to search PoolForum. A phrase like "[]" may produce answers you're looking for.

Upgraded membership and moved thread to the Pool Construction section. You may need to log out and back in to see everything.

PS.You can search use Google to search multiple pool sites, using Google's 'advanced search operators" to limit your search to specific sites. This page of mine will create the search links for you. Google knows my site -- and all the others -- much better than those sites internal search functions! And, if you need to post pictures -- of your pool, filter, pump, piping, what-not -- there are instructions on this page

Please note: the Super Search page does NOT search directly; it only CREATES special Google links, that enable a FOCUSED Google search!

No leaks at all prior to resurfacing. Started leaking about 3-4 days after pool had been refilled. I have marked the water line now and since thanksgiving day when I added water, the pool water is down approximately 1 1/2”. Pool contractor coming tomorrow.

The sudden appearance of leaks is certainly suggestive of a connection to the work. I'm just not clear how refinishing could cause such leaks . . . but then I didn't watch him at work.

I gotta say -- cause I've experienced such things a couple of times -- it could be a terrible coincidence, that has nothing to do with the contractor. Coincidence is not proof of causation, but darn it's hard to prove that to a suspicious customer who had no problems before.

What can make it hard is if (a) it's not his fault, but (b) he has no idea what IS causing the problem. Leaks can be really hard to track down.

Best wishes and good luck . . . to both you AND your contractor!

Let it leak down and see where it stops. That will help isolate where the leak is occurring.
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

+ Reply to Thread