+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Custom Design security cover

Default Custom Design security cover

Our pool salesman stated that there is a company that makes Custom Designed security covers for much cheaper than what his pool company sells them for. He says their mesh security covers are almost $2,000. But he couldn't give us the name of that company. Does anyone know of or have experience with a company that does this? Or would we be better off just buying a security cover straight from the pool company?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Custom Design security cover

I don't know the details of what he's selling, or the shape or size of your pool, so I'm limited on what advice I can offer.
    1. The two best mesh . . . or mesh + solid . . . safety covers are LoopLoc and Meyco. Both of make covers that will last 8 - 12 years. My experience has been that OTHER covers last 4 - 6, and have other problems, besides durability.

2. In safety cover lingo, "custom sizes" = your pool is not a standard shape. Both Meyco and LoopLoc make custom covers. However, you'll need a pool guy to order them, and probably, to install them.

3. Usually, the covers are installed using special brass anchors friction fitted into 3/4" x 2" deep holes drilled into the concrete deck.

4. There are 2 major differences between "custom" and standard covers. Custom covers have straps every 3 - 4', so they can span whatever weird pool shape you have. Standard covers have straps every 4 - 6' . . . so they sag more.

5. Also, custom covers are made to YOUR measurements. Screw up the measurements . . . and you'll end up owning (pre-pay only!) a useless cover.
    So, visit their sites and make up your own mind: https://meycocovers.com/ AND https://www.looploc.com/

I prefer LoopLoc for two reasons. First, it just happened to be the cover I usually sold. Second, their straps are woven from polypro thread, rather than polypro monofilament. The Meyco straps -- monofilament -- are hard on your hands.

A story: I once ordered a cover for an L-shaped country club pool that was over 4,000 sft. When it arrived, and we tried to install it, it didn't fit. After spending 2 - 3 hours wrestling with it, we finally discovered that it was the MIRROR IMAGE of the cover I needed. I made a panicked 40 mile drive back to my office, so I could look at my drawing. Whew! My drawing was correct; it was LoopLoc's mistake. They took it back, paid for lost time, and sent me a new one. I found out later they fired the cutting supervisor responsible.

Moral of the story: measure 2x, cut 1x!

Good luck!

Our mesh cover is from Coverlon, I believe. It was made to fit our pool shape (Grecian lazy L). It has help up very well over the past 14 years. Perhaps one reason it has held up so well is the past ~10 years is I’ve been covering it with a solid tarp (makes spring opening much easier).
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Solar UV is a primary cause of cover deterioration so, yes, placing a tarp over the cover would extend its life dramatically.

That’s what I thought.

The tarps are relatively cheap, so extended mesh safety cover life is just another benefit for me.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Thanks for the info!!

You're welcome.

+ Reply to Thread