+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Color LED Light Replacement

Default Color LED Light Replacement

I am considering replacing my 12V incandescent light with a color LED. I am considering the Pentair IntelliBrite 5g, but would consider any other options. My primary concern is reliability.

Are these color LED lights reliable and have long life? The replacement LED parts are nearly the same prices as the entire initial investment, and I'm not interested if I have to keep buying expensive replacement parts.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Color LED Light Replacement

I only have limited information on LED lights . . . and few ideas about how to get better info.

A major problem with ALL the electronics being sold for pools (including LEDs) is that the manufacturing revision rate, for both hardware and software, is so rapid that even if I DID have good info . . . it would be outdated by next season!

The same problem means that NOBODY in the pool business is genuinely 'good' at installing or repairing these things.

The only recommendations I can make are:
    + Don't spend more on lighting than you can afford to waste.
    + Make 100% sure BEFORE you pay the contractor that the LED unit is replaceable. It is SOP to cut corners on the conduit for lighting systems, with the result that failed units are nearly impossible to replace.

And to be 'Frank', I blame this more on consumers than on contractors.

Too many contractors have learned the hard way, that if they include money in the bid for 'out of sight' construction quality -- ie, under the concrete, behind the wall, etc -- they will just LOSE the bid. So, they either leave the business or go along with the shyster practices. In my own area, the current TOP high-end builder is a long time scammer, with multiple bankruptcies and business lawsuits. But, he usually builds pools that hold together long enough to make the 1 year warranty, and he is 30% cheaper than better builders. Keep in mind, this is on pools costing in excess of $75,000, sold to people who really ought to know better.

+ Reply to Thread