+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool Startup New Water?

Default Pool Startup New Water?

My pool had Cyanuric Acid off the scale Maybe 4-5 hundred. This I imagine was because I was using tabs to chlorinate. I drained the pool and am now refilling it. What do I do to get the pool chemistry correct after its filled and how do I chlorinate w/o raising the Cyanuric levels back up?

Thank You

Kevin Atkinson
    36K gal IG free form plaster pool

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pool Startup New Water?

1. Get a K2006 and monitor CYA levels monthly (or even just 3x per summer)

2. Operate with chlorine levels that are based on a % of CYA levels. For clear, algae free water, as a starting point, FC should be 1.5 OR 5% of CYA.

3. Use OTO testing with the K1000 for normal quick checks (2 - 3x per week, if the pool is in control).

4. Use a mix of stabilized chlorine (trichlor / dichlor) and unstabilized chlorine (cal hypo, bleach [ sodium hypochlorite ], salt water chlorination). Bleach is the only one of those that is trouble-free. Cal hypo adds calcium, which can be managed. But that is something else to 'do right or suffer'! Salt corrodes things.

Get a HTH 6-Way Test Kit (~$23) (made by Taylor) from Amazon or Walmart . . . to start. Do NOT use the stabilizer / CYA test until AFTER you've added stabilizer. There are only 3x tests for CYA in that kit. The HTH 6-way contains the K1000 mentioned.

Good luck!

PS. Next time, ask before you drain. There are other options!

Thank You PoolDoc,

How do I know how much stabilizer I should add?

I have the K-2006 kit and a small 5 way test kit. Chlorine, Bromine pH, Acid Demand and total alkalinity. I'll get the HTH 6-Way kit.

My K-2006 kit came with 2 - 22 ml bottles of R-0013(or I bought an extra one somewhere). One bottle is empty and one full. With one full bottle I think I still have 3 CYA tests. The pool is about 20X40 and 11 feet deep below the board. If I get the HTH 6-Way, I should have another 3 CYA tests in it?

The filter grids that I bought some time ago are FS-2005, 60 sq foot. How do I know how much DE to add? The amount I add always seem to clog up the grids and reduce the flow. One top of the grids is broken so I will buy a new set on Amazon and replace before adding DE.

Could I use pucks to bring the stabilizer level up?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Yes.

Dichlor is 55% chlorine, 50% stabilizer; trichlor is 90% chlorine, 55% stabilizer.

(Yes, I know those %'s don't add up right. Long history behind that, which I'm not going to explain here. Trust me, it will work out the way the %'s imply)

Thanks PoolDoc

My tabs say Triclor-S-Triazinetrione. I'll start chlorinating the pool with them and watch the CYA very closely. I'll check the PH. I have acid. I believe Borax was the agent recommended by you to raise the PH if need be.

I'll review my pool chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by atkinson40 View Post
    My tabs say Triclor-S-Triazinetrione.
    . . . one of the names for trichlor.

+ Reply to Thread