+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pvc crack repair

Default Pvc crack repair

Hi,

Longtime lurker , this is my first post. I noticed a leak near my spillover spa, coming out from under the preexisting deck. Since we were replacing the deck I pulled some boards and dug down & i believe I have found the source of the leak. Unfortunately, it is in a T fitting and all around it there are other pvc pipes.

Does anyone know of a repair method that doesnt require remove/replace? Some kind of an epoxy maybe?

I'm not sure of how to post pics

Thanks

Jerry

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pvc crack repair

1. Yes, it can be done, but it's a mess.

2. Here's what you need:
    Basically, the product consists of PVC chips that you dissolve in MEK and then slobber on the crack. The solvent evaporates, leaving the dissolved PVC attached.

But . . .
    • You MUST prep the surface first, by exposing CLEAN DRY PVC on the surface you are going to repair. You can clean it with the MEK (wear gloves and glasses!), let it dry, and then sand it a bit.

• You'll need some method of holding the 'Schmear' in place. If the crack is not on the TOP surface, you may have to tape a plastic back around the Tee. If it is on top, you may be able to make a 'dam' with Gorilla tape, or some such.

• The results -- even if they work -- will be UGLY!

• Practice, FIRST. Buy a similar Tee, and practice 'repairing' it before you try it on the real one.

Good luck!

Thanks!! Sounds like a lot for a small crack but I guess its required to make it permanent

I'll make the attempt this weekend and let ya know

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I've tried epoxy repairs a few times -- and seen them tried many more -- all without long term success.

PVC welding works, but that's tricky and requires expensive equipment to do well.

Of course, the best method is to replace the Tee, but it sounded like that was also a major effort. Unfortunately, most pool guys are either poor plumbers, or else just don't give a s###.

One of my pet peeves over the years were installations that required major replacement in order to effect a minor repair!

I got everything today and in the box from Hayward they had the same instructions that you posted . It was funny , I ordered from Amazon and when I opened the box , there was another box, addressed TO amazon from Hayward distribution. I then opened that box and there was another box, with the product

I mixed it according to directions and expected , like they said, a consistency like a syrup. In reality, the schmear never dissolves even after an hour of stirring, it is still a lumpy mess . I was really unsure if I needed to put the syrup like consistency on the crack, or if I needed to attempt to lay out the undissolved pieces on it

I really expected this to harden pretty quickly but the amounts I have in the can and on a paper plate seem to be pretty soft after an hour

Also, what would be the cure time for this?

I don't really know about the cure time. The way the product works is to dissolve the PVC, both in the 'Schmear', which is just PVC chips, and in the surface to be repaired. Hardening depends on evaporating the solvent that dissolved the stuff in the first place. It's not a 'glue', where there is some sort of catalytic or chemical process going on, beyond simple dissolution.

Heat helps, or rather, warmth. The solvents are very, very flammable!

But, the thicker the 'goo', the longer it will take to dry. If you like you can put the mixed Schmear in a metal, glass, or polyethylene container, and add it in layers. It will keep 'in the can' indefinitely IF there is a tight seal preventing evaporation.

Sorry that I didn't think to warn you that it's not a quick fix, like epoxy would be. On the other hand, done right, it's permanent, if messy, repair. Epoxy would not be.

Something else I didn't think to mention, or ask about. You should see if you can tell WHY the Tee cracked in the first place. If it was freezing, no problem. But if it was some sort of stress, because of out of alignment pipes or an over-tightened fitting, you should do anything you can to reduce that stress.

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread