+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Baquacil Conversion Done, Now what

Default Baquacil Conversion Done, Now what

I found this website last fall and decided through all the posts to switch from Baquacil to chlorine. It was a long process (10 days), but very easy with all the advice, tips etc. I covered to the pool and looked forward to all the info available to open it successfully. Now all the old info is gone, and I don't know where to turn. I took the cover off today finally (it has rained most of the month of June) and the water was slighlty green. I added 1 gal shock (12%) and it looks great. I tested the water and now don't know where to start. Please help.

24' round A/G pool

FC < 0.5
    TC < 0.5
    pH < 7.0
    CYO=0

I have the chemical level chart that says I should maintain FC of 1.0 to 3.0 w/ 0 CYA. Should I add chlorine, or should I add stabilizer first?

Thanks

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Baquacil Conversion Done, Now what

In your pool, each quart of 6% bleach will raise your chlorine level by 1 - 1.5. For the next few days, test your chlorine morning and evening and each time add enough bleach to take your cl back up to 5 or 6. Also, add some stabilizer (cya). Add an initial dose to get up to about 30 ppm. Add it slowly to the skimmer while the pump is running. Then, don't retest for cya, add more or backwash for about a week to give it plenty of time to dissolve in the skimmer. After the cya dissolves, you will be able to just test your chlorine and dose it with bleach in the evenings only.

Your most immediate danger is the low ph. Any reading below 7.0 is acidic and can damage your pool. Add some Borax (to the skimmer). Wait a few hours to let it circulate, then retest and redose as needed to get your ph to 7.4-7.6. Hope this helps you get started.

+ Reply to Thread