+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pump motor hums but capacitor OK and impeller spins freely

Default Pump motor hums but capacitor OK and impeller spins freely

I have a Hayward Super Pump with AO Smith 1hp motor. Had a problem at the beginning of the season where it just hummed but wouldn't start, so I checked the blogs and was able to get it going by manually freeing up the impeller. Ran all season without a problem, then it just stopped again the other day. I checked the impeller at one end and the motor shaft at the other, and was able to move everything freely. Changed the start capacitor, even though the old one still showed it was OK with the meter. Still just getting the hum, and can't find any other suggestions in the blogs. I'm OK with buying a new motor if necessary, but feels to me like this one may be OK since the typical failure modes aren't the problem. Any suggestions? If I do need a new motor, do I just need the motor and a new shaft seal, or any other parts recommended as well?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pump motor hums but capacitor OK and impeller spins freely

-- Sorry for the delay, I've been distracted by other obligations. Unfortunately, I haven't done enough motor repair to be able to guess. The fact is, most pros don't repair motors, if they can avoid it. You can end up sinking way more time into 'troubleshooting' than the owner will pay for. There are other issues, too. Bottom line: for service guys, it's safer AND more profitable to replace a failed motor with a new, warranted motor. --

================================================== ======

The forum is currently only minimally active. Your best bet, if you still need info is to use the Super Search page, to create special search links will allow you to search PoolForum. A phrase like "[]" may produce answers you're looking for.

Upgraded membership and moved thread to the Equipment section. You may need to log out and back in to see everything.

PS.You can search use Google to search multiple pool sites, using Google's 'advanced search operators" to limit your search to specific sites. This page of mine will create the search links for you. Google knows my site -- and all the others -- much better than those sites internal search functions! And, if you need to post pictures -- of your pool, filter, pump, piping, what-not -- there are instructions on this page

Please note: the Super Search page does NOT search directly; it only CREATES special Google links, that enable a FOCUSED Google search!

Default Re: Pump motor hums but capacitor OK and impeller spins freely

OK, thanks PoolDoc. I'll continue to search around.

+ Reply to Thread