+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool heater exhaust pipe insulation against wood

Hybrid View

Default Pool heater exhaust pipe insulation against wood

I have a pool heater with a 6" vent pipe that is routed through a wood picket fence. I am concerned that the heat from the pipe will damage the wood and potentially be a fire hazard. Is there a recommended insulation material that I can use around the hold in the fence that the pipe passes through that insulates the wood? I'm thinking of something like a pool noodle that I can slip over the edges of the fence boards, but made of a heat resistant ceramic/silicone material. Any suggestions?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pool heater exhaust pipe insulation against wood

Insulation is not necessarily a great idea.

It's not code, but if you have vented with standard double wall gas vent, it will probably be fine. I'd probably risk it IF the wood fence isn't near anything else combustible. If it is, you probably need to go with code clearance gaps. Your heater manual probably has those dimensions. You might have to get a piece of galvanized sheet metal, with an appropriately sized hole, to fill the gap in the fence.

If you want to be super safe, splice in a section of stainless triple wall wood stove vent.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pool heater exhaust pipe insulation against wood

Upgraded membership and moved thread to the IG Pool Repair section. You may need to log out and back in to see everything.

PS.You can search use Google to search multiple pool sites, using Google's 'advanced search operators" to limit your search to specific sites. This page of mine will create the search links for you. Google knows my site -- and all the others -- much better than those sites internal search functions! And, if you need to post pictures -- of your pool, filter, pump, piping, what-not -- there are instructions on this page

Please note: the Super Search page does NOT search directly; it only CREATES special Google links, that enable a FOCUSED Google search!

+ Reply to Thread