+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skimmer leaking in Question

Default Skimmer leaking in Question

Ok I tried the bucket test, yes found loss of water from pool more than bucket. I then checked skimmer bottom because of past leak from cracking at base, sealed with wet weld 5 or 6 yrs. ago was all good until now, I found cracks in wet weld,

So my next test was Red dye (food Coloring) in the skimmer after .5 hrs. color decreased but no direct stream to crack and no color back into pool from skimmer throat, after 2 hrs. color completely gone, So still wandering I closed off the throat of the skimmer with 2 pieces of heavy foam to make water stop entering skimmer chamber (all equip off) I then marked water level in skimmer chamber to see how much the level would drop, after about 4 hrs. the level was the same as marked earlier,

My question is if skimmer only holds approx. 1.5 gals being closed off from pool, did it stop the leaking because of not having the 7 or 8 inches of water pressure from the rest of pool water not getting into chamber by me blocking it off. (hope you understand) So sorry to say pool closed 3 days ago, but don't want to sit all winter wondering why. What can I use to seal cracks in skimmer since wet weld only worked a couple of yrs.

Thank for you time

Hoping Tdraym

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Skimmer leaking in Question

Hate that. Wrote a complete reply, hit the wrong button, and PUFF! it's gone. I know better.

Anyhow.

All the materials I've used seem to last only 3 - 5 years. In the past, on concrete pools, I'd chip out and replace epoxy patches every few years, till they got read to actual refurbish the pool. Not sure that would be safe on a skimmer. It would be awful easy to crack the skimmer.

You might want to look at this material: https://www.amazon.com/Ruscoe-Nitril...dp/B07CL4JWVR/ It has been one of the longer lasting materials I've worked with . . . but messy .

But be SURE to read the tech data on their website FIRST!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Skimmer leaking in Question

The forum is currently only minimally active. Your best bet, if you still need info is to use the Super Search page, to create special search links will allow you to search PoolForum. A phrase like "leaking skimmer" may produce answers you're looking for.

Upgraded membership and moved thread to the Pool Repair section. You may need to log out and back in to see everything.

PS.You can search use Google to search multiple pool sites, using Google's 'advanced search operators" to limit your search to specific sites. This page of mine will create the search links for you. Google knows my site -- and all the others -- much better than those sites internal search functions! And, if you need to post pictures -- of your pool, filter, pump, piping, what-not -- there are instructions on this page

Please note: the Super Search page does NOT search directly; it only CREATES special Google links, that enable a FOCUSED Google search!

+ Reply to Thread