+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Losing prime on a 60+ year old pool

Default Losing prime on a 60+ year old pool

I have a 1950's 40,000 gal gunite pool with on two skimmers (bottom drain closed off).

I've been able to make it work until recently when it started losing prime. I can get it going but the water level won't stay up. I had the system checked and was told that there were no leaks in the pump/filter equipment so he said it had to be in my 'old lines'. But if it's the lines from the skimmers how would it be drawing air and breaking the prime? They recommended calling a 'leak detection' company who will come out for $500 and tell me where the leak is.

I just can't see how it could be sucking air from a line that's several feet underground? There shouldn't be a blockage since I've blown out the lines with the shop vac (on blow) and water shoots up out of the skimmers like fountains. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Tanny

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Losing prime

Quote Originally Posted by Tannyj View Post
    I have a 1950's 40,000 gal gunite pool with on two skimmers (bottom drain closed off).
    With steel pipes, right? I'm amazed you're still able to operate with those.

I had the system checked and was told that there were no leaks in the pump/filter equipment so he said it had to be in my 'old lines'.
    Sounds reasonable.

I just can't see how it could be sucking air from a line that's several feet underground?
    Happens all the time.

You've got a leak detector company who guarantees they'll find THE leak (not just a leak or some leaks) for $500? Lucky you! I mean that. Many will just look for leaks, for that price.

Sorry, but if you've made it almost 70 years with original metal piping, it's not really unreasonable to have to re-plumb the pool. Sorry.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 09-07-2018 at 07:54 AM.

+ Reply to Thread