+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Closing an AG Intex Pool

Default Closing an AG Intex Pool

I read the thread about closing an AG Pool. Had a couple questions.

Is there a certain air temperature that I should wait for before closing? For example, should I wait longer even tho I am likely done swimming or is it better to close earlier?

I read pools are drained below the intakes, but then plugged. Why plug them if you are intentionally draining below them? Why not just plug the intakes/outtake, remove the plumbing and keep the water full? I ask this because the village water is loaded with iron. Rather not load it up with more this next season.

EDIT: Also wanted to ask if there are concerns about the water freezing?
    Last edited by nrbarnard; 09-04-2018 at 10:44 AM.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Closing an AG Intex Pool

On an Intex, in your situation, I'd be inclined to do as you say, and save the water. However, it's a judgement call. In very cold areas, like some parts of Illinois, AG pools will freeze solid. They are drained down to prevent that huge piece of ice from splitting the pool open.

Unfortunately, as a Georgia boy, I have little experience with extended intervals of sub-zero weather. Heck, it hasn't even gotten below zero once, since I married nearly 40 years ago! (Happened a couple of times before that.) I'll post the Super Search page blurb below. You can search here AND TroubleFreePool for posts on "winterizing Intex pools"

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

PS.You can search use Google to search multiple pool sites, using Google's 'advanced search operators" to limit your search to specific sites. This page of mine will create the search links for you. Google knows my site -- and all the others -- much better than those sites internal search functions! And, if you need to post pictures -- of your pool, filter, pump, piping, what-not -- there are instructions on this page

Please note: the Super Search page does NOT search directly; it only CREATES special Google links, that enable a FOCUSED Google search!

What is the actual chemical that is used to prevent freezing?

If you mean, in wet pipes and sumps . . . a glycol.

You could use ethylene glycol, which is auto antifreeze, but it's poisonous and tastes good to some cats and dogs. What's usually used is propylene glycol, which is sold as "non-toxic motorhome antifreeze". It's available at motor home supplies or on Amazon.

+ Reply to Thread