+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can I put Yellow Out into pool that's already been shocked?

Default Can I put Yellow Out into pool that's already been shocked?

My chlorine level is above 10 and I have algae still.
    Would it be effective to add Yellow Out now, or does it only work if you put the yellow out in the pool before you shock?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Can I put Yellow Out into pool that's already been shocked?

Yellow Out is ammonium chloride. When you add it to the pool . . . and EXACTLY follow the directions . . . you create chloramines or "combined chlorine". Specifically, you'll make monochloramine which is
    (a) not affected by stabilizer,
    (b) is a VERY effective algaecide, AND
    (c) is quite irritating to eyes and skin.
    Once the algae is gone, you have to "shock" or "super-chlorinate" the pool to GET RID of what you just created (chloramines).

Basically, Yellow Out
    (a) works to kill algae,
    (b) works to MESS UP your pool,
    (c) has to be removed, so you can return to your regularly scheduled algae.
    A better approach would be to stop the algae in the first place. But to do that, you have to know your stabilizer level, since your chlorine level has to be 5 - 10% of your stabilizer level WITHOUT algae, and up to 50% of your stabilizer to remove algae.

By the way, the ONLY readily available way to measure CYA levels accurately enough to do the job is to use Taylor's CYA test method, as is included in the K2006. Test strips aren't nearly accurate enough.

(When your pool store reads the strip, and tells you you have 76.5 ppm of CYA . . . they are using a computer to make that manure up! Want to see how bad it is? Collect THREE samples from your pool at the same time. Put them all in your fridge for a day. Then, start taking them to the pool store every 3 - 4 days. Do NOT tell them that they were all collected together! If your pool dealer's testing is accurate, the results for CYA will all be within 10% of each other. Typically, the actual results will vary by 50% or more!)

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Can I put Yellow Out into pool that's already been shocked?

Upgraded membership and moved thread to the Algae section. You may need to log out and back in to see everything.

PS.You can search use Google to search multiple pool sites, using Google's 'advanced search operators" to limit your search to specific sites. This page of mine will create the search links for you. Google knows my site -- and all the others -- much better than those sites internal search functions! And, if you need to post pictures -- of your pool, filter, pump, piping, what-not -- there are instructions on this page

Please note: the Super Search page does NOT search directly; it only CREATES special Google links, that enable a FOCUSED Google search!

+ Reply to Thread