+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just found the Forum

Default Just found the Forum

Embarking on the design and construction (in 2019) of a new pool. Lots and lots of questions that I hope to explore on this forum such as:
    * Traditional vs negative/infinity edge vs zero edge design
    * Chlorine vs salt vs Ecosmarte, etc...
    * Automated pool covers

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Just found the Forum

OK. I'll keep it simple.

1. Most builders cannot do the piping and circulation properly on infinity edge pools, and cannot build in such a way to maintain the required ±1/16" level over a 5-year pool life. Do NOT even consider infinity edge pools without INSPECTING 5 year old pools by your prospective builder.

2. By "zero edge" I assume you are talking about a rim-flow pool, with the deck visually at water level? Such designs require a TRUE GUTTER to work well. Non-gutter 'manufactured' designs usually do not work well. Few builders (even commercial builders) can design and fabricate a true gutter pool . . . even though it's not that hard. So again,b before taking seriously such offerings, INSPECT 5 year old samples.

3. Just as a general guide, in my own area over 80% of pools costing $100,000+ have SERIOUS flaws. The 'sweet' spot, in terms of function and durability, are 'cookie-cutter' vinyl pools ($35 - 50,000) or gunite ($40 - 60,000).

4. Every "feature" added INCREASES the odds of real functional problems with your pool. This includes electronic control systems, LED light systems, in-floor cleaning systems, spas, fountains, etc ad nauseum

5. In general, no pool is completely salt-compatible. Auto-covers -- unless EVERY SINGLE METAL PIECE is EITHER brass or non-magnetic stainless -- are NEVER salt compatible. Aluminum track pool covers aren't even really swimming pool compatible! But they will last long enough to get pass their full-dollar warranty period.

6. There is no chlorine vs salt: salt systems are ACTUALLY SWCGs: salt water CHLORINE generators. Ecosmarte has been covered extensively. Use my Super Search page, and learn more.

7. Salt systems do NOT save money, when you consider all costs. Typical salt cell life is 3 years if you oversize the unit, don't use the "boost" or "super-chlorinate" mode, and don't buy Pentair Intellichlor . . . or Chinese units. Their SOLE advantage is that they are an easy to use, consistent 'chlorine feeder', and don't require storage of hazardous chlorine (just hazardous acid!)

8. Many pool owners do NOT do 'due diligence' on their builders. There ARE some good ones. But the pool biz is a low-entry-barrier business, except in Florida and California, and attracts more than a few shysters and even criminals. Verify -- actually verify -- business license, business insurance coverage, NON-criminal record of principals, and time in business locally and without bankruptcy. Also, check the BBB and local 'reputation' sites.

9. There is one -- only one -- reason why builders insist on 'matched' equipment: manufacturer incentive programs, which send the builder and his wife to Hawaii, etc. Pentair, Hayward, and Jandy/Zodiac each make some good equipment. AND, each makes some absolute junk. Hayward has been making the same defective inline trichlor feeder for over 25 years and it is still the total PoS it was when released. The Pentair Intellichlor units are dogs. Pentair discovered this, and immediately changed the warranty from 3 years to 1 year . . . but they didn't change the units. Jandy makes some good valves, cleaners (Polaris) and cartridge filters . . . as well as a lot of sup-par gear.

10. When your builder tells you that taking care of a pool is no problem . . . he's lying. And the facts of the matter explain why few builders have pools. There is no such thing as a trouble-free pool. We can make it easier and cheaper, but ONLY if you are willing to learn, willing to do your OWN testing, and willing and able to be consistent in pool care.

11. Alternatively, find, check out, and budget for a local pool service.

12. Keep in mind that, unlike a boat or a RV, pools are a BAD vanity purchase, because you can NOT sell then when you are tired of them.

13. etc. (In case you are wondering, a full answer would be 10x as long!)

Good luck!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Upgraded membership and moved thread to the Pool Construction section. You may need to log out and back in to see everything.

PS.You can search use Google to search multiple pool sites, using Google's 'advanced search operators" to limit your search to specific sites. This page of mine will create the search links for you. Google knows my site -- and all the others -- much better than those sites internal search functions! And, if you need to post pictures -- of your pool, filter, pump, piping, what-not -- there are instructions on this page

Please note: the Super Search page does NOT search directly; it only CREATES special Google links, that enable a FOCUSED Google search!

(I'll merge this later.)

14. Existing pool owners are often embarrassed about the stupid things they did, when they got THEIR pools. After all, who wants to broadcast the fact that "I AM A GREAT BIG SAP who made a really, really stupid decision"?

Consequently, they lie about some of the problems they have. Look past that, for the actual facts.

+ Reply to Thread