+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Inaccurate Salt Reading and other problems with Aqua-Rite

Hybrid View

Default Inaccurate Salt Reading and other problems with Aqua-Rite

I had my 12,000 gal pool resurfaced in March. When I turned the Aqua Rite system back on, I had a solid red light for No Flow. I bought a new flow switch which produced the same solid red light. I manually tested both, and they worked. I turned on the water with the switch out and water is gushing out of the hole. I used velcro to keep the flow switch engaged. The power and generating lights both turned on. The salt was reading too low for the system to stay generating. I checked the level manually and there was 3200 salt in the pool. I thought it would balance out once the flow issue was no longer a problem. I checked the salt reading a few days later and it showed 0. I live in FL, so my pool runs all year long. The cell I had was 3.5 years old. It passed the test at the pool store, but from everything I read a bad salt reading is caused by the cell.

I purchased a new cell. I was able to recalibrate the salt level to 500, while my manual test showed 3000. I have tried multiple times to recalibrate it, but the instant reading isn't showing anything higher. I replaced the mother board in June. I don't know what else to check. Is it possible my new cell is defective?

88P
    AL -0
    r 1.59
    t-3

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Inaccurate Salt Reading and other problems with Aqua-Rite

I don't have any specific answer for you. The Aqua-Rite units are better than most, apparently, but that's not saying a lot. I've never worked on them myself, so I can't really comment. I have no idea what the list of numbers you supplied are.

I will offer a few observations.
    • 3.5 years of life is unusually long for an SWCG operating year round.
    • Low salt readings may indicate cell failure.
    • It is certainly possible for a new cell to be defective. But it's also possible to damage electronics (and electrical components) putting them in a bad circuit.
    • I'd recommend you use my Super Search page to look through all the major pool forum sites for Aqua Rite troubleshooting.
    • I'd would have recommended calling Hayward, but at this point I think you've changed so much that they are likely to tell you, "You should have called a pro" . . . just because they will have no idea exactly what you've done. (Consumer self-reports of repair efforts are notoriously considered untrustworthy by customer service agents, regardless of industry.)

Good luck!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Upgraded membership and moved thread to the SWCG section. You may need to log out and back in to see everything.

PS.You can search use Google to search multiple pool sites, using Google's 'advanced search operators" to limit your search to specific sites. This page of mine will create the search links for you. Google knows my site -- and all the others -- much better than those sites internal search functions! And, if you need to post pictures -- of your pool, filter, pump, piping, what-not -- there are instructions on this page

Please note: the Super Search page does NOT search directly; it only CREATES special Google links, that enable a FOCUSED Google search!

Which cell are you using (T3, T9, or T15)? If the main panel isn’t set correctly with the particular cell being used you can get wonky readings.

Also, check where the cell and flow switch connect to the panel and make sure the connections are clean.

Concerning the flow switch, make sure when installed the arrows on it match the water flow direction.

When I started mine up last spring I got the solid no flow light. I made sure the connections were clean, and after running a little while it started working fine and has been fine since (I thought I might need a new switch).
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

I am using a T3 cell. The arrows on the switch are lined up. I will check the connections, but the board is new. When I hold the flow switch and manually engage it the system goes to generating. It seems that the water isn't enough to make the connection engage in the pipe, but with the flow switch out the water comes gushing out. It doesn't see to have a block in the line and the pressure is the same as it's always been.

I take it before the pool was resurfaced it worked fine? Any changes to the plumbing that might have altered the water flow at the flow sensor (turbulence)?
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

+ Reply to Thread